Smaller Steering Wheel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RoJo2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yesterday I was finally able to get my 98 RCSB to an autocross event. Needless to say... It was a blast. I left with so many ideas about where I could improve and what parts could help. Steering is a major area that could use some improvement. On top of the fact that I was having intermittent power steering issues (I think related to the EVO) and the fact that lock to lock on these trucks does not make for fun U turns; the huge steering wheel makes things all the more... interesting. Does anyone know if there is a similar factory steering wheel to the 95+ airbag steering wheel that was perhaps in another vehicle that is a couple inches smaller in diameter that will fit these trucks?

Any insight is appreciated.

-Rob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Not sure about the wheel size but have you thought about a steering quickener at all? They come in various ratios like 1.5-1 and 2-1.

RoJo2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure about the wheel size but have you thought about a steering quickener at all? They come in various ratios like 1.5-1 and 2-1.

Yes I plan to get a quick ratio box eventually. Haven’t settled on a ratio yet but I’m thinking something like what sewlow mentioned that removes about 3/4 turn. Ive got a few other things that I can do before dropping $350 on a box though.

Dubs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Aftermarket steering wheels are 14" diameter. Stock is 16-18" depending on manufacturer. That's where I would start. Makes a huge difference.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
What is the benefit of a quickener vs a quick ratio box?

Your stuck with whatever the factory offered with a steering box, but you can fine tune what you want with a quickener... 1.25-1, 1.5-1, 1.75-1, 2-1, etc. They offer a bunch of different ratios for them

RoJo2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Your stuck with whatever the factory offered with a steering box, but you can fine tune what you want with a quickener... 1.25-1, 1.5-1, 1.75-1, 2-1, etc. They offer a bunch of different ratios for them

I’ll have to look more into this to determine if this is as durable as say a Redhead 12:1 box. Thanks!