small turbo+5.3?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also run the next size up wastegate. Don't expect a 38mm wastegate to run 3psi on a S475.

I'm fixin to start on a turbo setup for my 2500HD and plannin on something similar to that S369 billet turbo for towing and a 60mm wastegate or dual 38mm wastegates. I live to start out at the lowest boost possible. And start tuning and crank it up slowly. There is alot more room for error in a mistake at 3psi vs 23 psi. Timing hickup or weak fuel pump or something crazy like that. I like to be safe than sorry.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

abrasumente

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's another one I'll throw out there- what about exhaust piping? I'm not interested in a super loud exhaust- again, efficiency is key here. I like the look of a dual exit exhaust but I'm not really hung up on the whole "true dual" thing (not that I'd want to anyway with my plans of running a single turbo). I also do a lot of highway driving, so a setup that doesn't produce drone is also important. Just wanting some ideas so I can plan on what I should set aside for that part of the project

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm running a 12" vibrant resonator and a 36" diesel muffler. All 4" from the turbo back.
It's really quiet cruising but it has a deep tone. And now I wish I wouldn't have used a turn down under the bed. It gets annoying at idle since it has an "echo".

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can take a 4" and do a Y pipe to dual 3" for tail pipes if that's what your wanting.

abrasumente

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your build is sick!! I especially enjoyed how you took the time to make your wiring nice— bad wiring is a pet peeve of mine. After seeing what you’ve done, I definitely want to blueprint your setup.

I haven’t gotten the heads off my motor yet- bad thing about turning your own wrenches is once your friends find out you’re worth a damn at it, you get emergency phone calls lol... but I’ve got a lot of my plugs labeled and all accessories off the front of the motor, plus I picked up a digital service manual for an 01 Silverado for my laptop to track down what connectors I’m unsure of. My next chore after confirming the state of the motor will be modifying the 5.3 harness.

I should probably make a build thread too. I’ve got enough pictures of what I’ve done so far to the truck, anyway. I wish I would’ve taken some when I rebuilt the front steering/suspension.... my ball joints rattled like those hand held bells

abrasumente

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whatever I do for exhaust, it definitely won't be dumped under the truck. I had a 4.9 powered Cadillac 60 Special before I got this truck that I had to redo the exhaust on (cat was clogged, car had a ground issue and the PO flogged it). Local shop ran all new pipe from the manifold back into a flowmaster super 40, and went to dual exit with rectangular tips. I was surprised with how good it sounded, and the tips looked great on the old Caddy. Unfortunately, even though I fixed the ground issue, it took its toll on the old electronics and something fried in the dash, so I had to scrap it. Sad day. That car would scoot for being a luxobarge. I may go back with rectangular tips, I don't see a lot of that style around here (usually it's coffee can tips, even on gas burners).

You must be registered for see images attach

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Your build is sick!! I especially enjoyed how you took the time to make your wiring nice— bad wiring is a pet peeve of mine. After seeing what you’ve done, I definitely want to blueprint your setup.

I haven’t gotten the heads off my motor yet- bad thing about turning your own wrenches is once your friends find out you’re worth a damn at it, you get emergency phone calls lol... but I’ve got a lot of my plugs labeled and all accessories off the front of the motor, plus I picked up a digital service manual for an 01 Silverado for my laptop to track down what connectors I’m unsure of. My next chore after confirming the state of the motor will be modifying the 5.3 harness.

I should probably make a build thread too. I’ve got enough pictures of what I’ve done so far to the truck, anyway. I wish I would’ve taken some when I rebuilt the front steering/suspension.... my ball joints rattled like those hand held bells

Well the truck was nasty inside and most the wiring was bad anyway. So I gutted it and started over.
Oh I know how that goes. I do alot of this kinda stuff and got several race cars ready to be wired up, plus tuning and suspension work. But I charge them even tho they are friends, I'm not gonna spend 60 hours on something for free. Emergencies cost even more. I have a winch on my car hauler and it gets used often.

The wiring harness for the engine is a peice o cake. Time consuming part is how good you want it to look.

Yep. Before I start on a build I go thru the fluids and then suspension. If suspension isn't right, gotta start there before something comes apart and gets somebody hurt.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pm me your email and I'll send you all the wiring stuff I have.

abrasumente

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
She's been smoking that good ****

I haven't gotten the pistons out yet, but from what I can tell, there's still factory crosshatching on the cylinder walls. I haven't seen any gouges yet. At minimum, this block and the heads are going to require a complete disassembly and a bath in the hot tank- the grime buildup is real, I tried washing it myself and it just laughed at me. A buddy is in dire need of my services today- his wheel bearing said adios and it clobbered the whole knuckle, so I doubt I'll get any further this weekend.

The pistons are probably going in the trash. Right now, I'm debating on using 4.8 flat tops to raise my compression up a little, or- and this is tasty- boring the block out to 5.7 specs. I've done a ton of research on that aspect, and if I choose to go this route I will be purchasing another 5.3 block to keep on hand as a spare since there won't be any meat left if I choose to bore it out that much.