Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdla140

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’ve never personally owned a diesel vehicle but the general consensus I’ve always heard/read, is that the 6.2 and 6.5 are terrible. I imagine those opinions primarily stem from a power making perspective though. What’s their durability/reliability like when keeping power around factory output? I imagine that if they were/are reliable enough for a humvee in a war zone, then they can’t be as bad as people like to suggest.

After owning a DS4 equipped 6.5, I wouldn't trust one as far as I could throw it. The motor itself isn't THAT bad. There are some crankshaft snapping issues and block cracking issues, both of which are likely related. They do have headgasket issues, and the cooling system is barely adequate on early turbo models.

Everyone is so quick to point out the flaws in the 6.x series engines, are the vortec small blocks really any better? Between intake gaskets, headgaskets, cracked heads, junk distributors and injectors, and leaky oil cooler lines I'll probably never own another.

I absolutely love my N/A 6.2. It's a full size 1/2 ton 4x4 pickup that gets 18 mpg or better in town. The mechanical injection is super simple. The cooling system is just fine on the n/a models. It has plenty of torque when I need to pull trailers. All of the issues these engines have are fixable. stainless steel braided AN oil cooler lines, fluidampr, and a new crank pulley is all you really need to do to keep the N/A trucks alive and happy. Plus, I get WAY better mileage than my 6.5 turbo got. The best I ever did was 16 mpg in town, I think a lot of people hype up their mileage, highway mileage was pretty good though.

My vote would be an n/a 6.x engine for simplicity, reliability, and ease of swap. The turbo just complicates things and retracts from the reliability too much for the power increase to be justifiable, IMO. They aren't as gutless as most people make them seem, they feel about like a 305 with a little more torque down low.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Everyone is so quick to point out the flaws in the 6.x series engines, are the vortec small blocks really any better? Between intake gaskets, headgaskets, cracked heads, junk distributors and injectors, and leaky oil cooler lines I'll probably never own another.

The 350 is absolutely better than the 6.2 or 6.5. I've never heard of a headgasket problem with the 350, but nothing you mention is on the level of the lack of durbility of the diesels. Usually a 350 gets swapped in place of the blown diesel.

Reaction score
The 350 is absolutely better than the 6.2 or 6.5. I've never heard of a headgasket problem with the 350, but nothing you mention is on the level of the lack of durbility of the diesels. Usually a 350 gets swapped in place of the blown diesel.
He is refering to the l31 vortec and its issues. They like ls motors have intake problems

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
He is refering to the l31 vortec and its issues. They like ls motors have intake problems

Yes, I know... and it's absolutely better than a 6.2 or 6.5L diesel. None of the problems with the 350 are internal except maybe the cracks in the heads, which as far as I know still leave you with a running engine.

Since when do LS engines have intake problems?... certainly not with coolant, they're dry.

Reaction score
Yes, I know... and it's absolutely better than a 6.2 or 6.5L diesel. None of the problems with the 350 are internal except maybe the cracks in the heads, which as far as I know still leave you with a running engine.

Since when do LS engines have intake problems?... certainly not with coolant, they're dry.
Its common on higher milages ones. Ive had a few service truck/vans. Coolant disappears and folks blame head gaskets. The 350 makes alot more hp then the 6.2 diesel easily. But the 6.2 can get good mpg and has enough torque to be slow but decent with a small load. Back in that day a gas motor was the ideal towing platform and diesels were a niche market. They werent popular. But ats and banks did make kits to boost their performance. The diesel thing just hadn't taken off yet

Reaction score
Its less common then electrical gremlins at least
You must be registered for see images