Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
A mechanical diesel would be more ideal unless your a wiring guru or can get a stand alone harness. Just remember your also going to have to make the tranny play along. The diesel thing.... well hopefully you get the mpg. To me the hassle is far more than the gain. Id probably rebuild the 350 or buy a short block and build a torque motor. Or a stroker or the sorts. Could probably get 15+ if you tried. My old swb k1500 on 35s would pull 17mpg on the highway with a junkyard l31 long block gmpp intake and running a stock tbi everything else. Dont get me wrong i currently own 2 diesels. Just wouldnt go thru the hassle

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Imagine 35 mpg
Sounds good. But i dont see much of anything in a pickup doing that. I also see a lot of folks claming their trucks getting extremely good fuel mpg factory diesels getting over 20mpg.... then the next guy gets 11mpg. Now is 35mpg possible? Probably. On the hiway down hill with a tail wind. Trying to be real, dont want you to be let down

LoCascio_Inc

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Useful power AND 35mpg would never happen in real life with a full size truck/SUV.

With the proper tune and gearing, I think 15-20mpg is totally possible though. The gas savings alone would never offset the cost and hassle of a swap like this. Though if an engine/trans needs to be retired in a project vehicle already , it doesn’t seem like too much more work or money to switch things up.

Reaction score
Useful power AND 35mpg would never happen in real life with a full size truck/SUV.

With the proper tune and gearing, I think 15-20mpg is totally possible though. The gas savings alone would never offset the cost and hassle of a swap like this. Though if an engine/trans needs to be retired in a project vehicle already , it doesn’t seem like too much more work or money to switch things up.
My point exactly... 15-20mpg it possible on gas at a savings of 20-30 cents a gallon and cheaper oil changes on a gas motor.

On the flip side if this is just a avenue to justify an want.... ive also told myself and my wife things to justify a project... (kinda why a smoker build has gotten way out of hand. Was originally going to be a back porch smoker now its going on a trailer with a flat grill and a sink).....
Me: still cheaper than buying a prebuilt smoker
Wife: [emoji849]

93crewcab

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That’s a really good job, looks super clean. I’m doing a duramax swap in a suburban and the intercooler from the duramax is in no way going to fit without major modifications.

Did you need to modify any of the front lights? And what radiator did you use?
The duramax intercooler fits easier then you think

93crewcab

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The only way its worth a diesel swap is if you do alot of towing.i first wanted to do one of those small diesel swaps but they are expensive and not very common.also you dont get much power for the cost which is why I went with the duramax.

Crookedaxle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A mechanical diesel would be more ideal unless your a wiring guru or can get a stand alone harness. Just remember your also going to have to make the tranny play along. The diesel thing.... well hopefully you get the mpg. To me the hassle is far more than the gain. Id probably rebuild the 350 or buy a short block and build a torque motor. Or a stroker or the sorts. Could probably get 15+ if you tried. My old swb k1500 on 35s would pull 17mpg on the highway with a junkyard l31 long block gmpp intake and running a stock tbi everything else. Dont get me wrong i currently own 2 diesels. Just wouldnt go thru the hassle

If you're referring to the OM606 I know they can be converted to pretty much full mechanical operation. They're backwards compatible with older style mechanical pumps on the OM603.

Crookedaxle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The only way its worth a diesel swap is if you do alot of towing.i first wanted to do one of those small diesel swaps but they are expensive and not very common.also you dont get much power for the cost which is why I went with the duramax.

Not to mention a 4cyl. rattling your fillings out. Although, I'm sure that's been taken care of in the new $60,000 1/2 ton diesels.

93crewcab

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not to mention a 4cyl. rattling your fillings out. Although, I'm sure that's been taken care of in the new $60,000 1/2 ton diesels.
I forgit to mention that. And they sound terrible. That guys surburban sounded pretty bad and its loud.