Slow leak rear brakes after rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Billingstitan

Reaction score
89 K1500 5.7
Issue: Rear Drums, stock w basic aftermarket rebuild kit.

No issues w the brakes to start w, just an old used truck I bought cheap to bring back from decades of neglect and abuse.

Redid front and rears, all good operationally, before and after, except I hear a bit of ‘lurch/groan’ from the rear brakes just as they fully grab after rebuild.

As time goes on, I notice the inside of the tires are slightly wet from brake fluid. I have to top off the reservoir every three weeks or so of every day driving (20-30 miles).

Drop the rear tires to do a quick visual, everything looks good. I took a photo before disassembly, it matches present state.

Bleed valves are tight, not leaking. System is bled.

But, in a moment of brilliance all backyard mechanics will appreciate, I notice my emergency brake is depressed … fully depressed … for what was prob a few months.

There wasn’t a ton of pressure, altho there was likely some. Replacement of the cable was on my list, as it was too stretched to be operable.

So, I’m not sure if this could relate to the leaking brake fluid issue or not?

Obv I released the brake upon noticing.

The loss of fluid MAY have lessended some, but it’s tough to be certain. Only loses fluid when it’s being operated (if it sits, fluid seems to stay at same level).

Also, if I take a 200-300 mile road trip, it doesn’t lose fluid (i.e.: 2-300 miles prob = 2 weeks of typical in-town driving. Does NOT lose fluid at the same rate — hardly any on highway).

I’m real familiar w disc brakes, but drums, less so. Visual, quick mechanical inspection reveal no obvious cause, and the fluid hits the inside of the rear tires and flings everywhere, so it’s tough to see the source.

I live in Montana, so I haven’t had the weather to do a deep dive yet … just got a crazy spring snow storm this week. Makes for long nights as a trucker.

Anyway, I’m hoping for some troubleshooting suggestions?

Drums seems pretty basic — but not my forte. Any thoughts on parts to replace or focus on?

I mean, only a few sources could be the source of a slow leak, right? I just don’t know what they are, lol.

I’m guessing it’s prob happening on application of the brakes, but only because that seems logical. It doesn’t seem to lose fluid when it’s not being driven.

I appreciate any thoughts or suggestions — I will post up when (not if!) I get this sorted

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
K1500 almost certainly has the shiitty 254mm (10") leading-trailing shoe rear brakes. Adjuster and park brake strut are just under the wheel cylinder.

When the park brake is applied, the wheel cylinder cups and seals are extended towards the end of the wheel cylinder.

Common as hell for those brakes to be WAY out of adjustment; and if the park brake was applied...it's guaranteed or the truck wouldn't move.

Adjust the rear brakes, fix the park brake so it doesn't interfere with the service brakes. See what happens.

Otherwise you are gonna need new rear wheel cylinder(s).

Billingstitan

Reaction score
K1500 almost certainly has the shiitty 254mm (10") leading-trailing shoe rear brakes. Adjuster and park brake strut are just under the wheel cylinder.

When the park brake is applied, the wheel cylinder cups and seals are extended towards the end of the wheel cylinder.

Common as hell for those brakes to be WAY out of adjustment; and if the park brake was applied...it's guaranteed or the truck wouldn't move.

Adjust the rear brakes, fix the park brake so it doesn't interfere with the service brakes. See what happens.

Otherwise you are gonna need new rear wheel cylinder(s).
Is this the rear wheel cylinder?

Attachments

• 9AC7268B-D586-4CBB-8F2A-7899473290A7.jpeg
    9AC7268B-D586-4CBB-8F2A-7899473290A7.jpeg
    122.4 KB · Views: 11

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The loss of fluid MAY have lessended some, but it’s tough to be certain. Only loses fluid when it’s being operated (if it sits, fluid seems to stay at same level).
Brakes are the one system where you can't tolerate any leaks, and a "lessened" leak is not a sign of it getting better.

Did you replace the wheel cylinders when you redid the brakes? That wheel cylinder looks new, but if they're seeping, they're garbage.

Billingstitan

Reaction score
Brakes are the one system where you can't tolerate any leaks, and a "lessened" leak is not a sign of it getting better.

Did you replace the wheel cylinders when you redid the brakes? That wheel cylinder looks new, but if they're seeping, they're garbage.
I did not — very limited knowlege of these drum brakes. Based on input, I just ordered a pair of replacements. Funny, a complete cylinder is cheaper than the rebuild kit

I’m betting having the e-brake on probably blew one or both out. Gonna replace as soon as this 2-ft of snow we got mon & tues finally melts!