Slipping transmission?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nordin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
This didnt help that much I think?

You must be registered for see images attach

Nordin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
with the engine off but in the run position and of course obd2 hooked up (can drain the battery) push the throttle slowly to the floor.

is that what we're looking at?
That is with the engine running, will have a look with key on, engine off.

didnt understand that graph either

honkon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're on the right path testing things!
Your graph almost makes sense. It seems like the TPS is at least working. Did you push it to the floor between 15 and 20 seconds on the graph? Doesn't look very smooth and we can't see the max value.
Just log the graph for as long as it takes to slowly depress the gas to the floor with key on engine off.
No engine light? Does the jerking have the pattern of a fish-bite nibble? Does it happen at low or high rpm? Can you see the misfire counters on your OBD scanner?
Sounds like torque converter or misfire issue. Going to need diagnosis.

Last edited:

Nordin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're on the right path testing things!
Your graph almost makes sense. It seems like the TPS is at least working. Did you push it to the floor between 15 and 20 seconds on the graph? Doesn't look very smooth and we can't see the max value.
Just log the graph for as long as it takes to slowly depress the gas to the floor with key on engine off.
No engine light? Does the jerking have the pattern of a fish-bite nibble? Does it happen at low or high rpm? Can you see the misfire counters on your OBD scanner?
Sounds like torque converter or misfire issue. Going to need diagnosis.

Yes about 15-20seconds. Cant change anything with the graph I use Bluedriver obd-scanner and app.
No not smooth at all but I cant press the gas any smoother than that :D

No engine lights or error-codes at all

Hmm I'm not really sure how to describe the jerking in english. Not a fish bite nibble, its more violent but not super violent, only at low rpms, if I give more gas it stops because of the transmission shifting down to third and then when I'm around 60-70mph and fourth kicks in its all normal.
So its at lower rpms at lower speeds 45-55mph (or something like that I'm used to km/h :rolleyes:)

Dont think I got a missfire counter on my scanner. Will google some on torque converter to see if I find any similarities :)

Nordin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like a misfire. How many miles on your truck? Have you done an ignition tune-up? Following maintenance schedule?
Hmm ok, why does it come and go at about the same rpm and speeds? I think this is the correct conversion, 173000 miles

Got new ICM, coil, cap, rotor, wires and plugs.
Got no schedule to follow but I bought this truck in march and done all of the above plus oil and oil filter (twice) changed the CPS aswell, fuel filter and some more

Nordin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like a misfire. How many miles on your truck? Have you done an ignition tune-up? Following maintenance schedule?
Oh another thing, when I plugged my scanner this time I saw that the distributor was a bit off, ignition timing.
Not by much, could that have something to do with this?
Will fix that tomorrow

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, didn't understand that graph either. I suppose the vertical axis is TPS value? While looking at the graph or screen, press the gas pedal about 1/4 way and the TPS should be 25%. Ditto for 50%, etc. Should be pretty consistent.

Does your app allow you to record data? Go for a drive and then review information such as fuel trims. I'm certain a misfire will cause fuel trims and O2 sensor to show some spikes or dips of some data. At least it will hopefully give you an idea if the problem is on bank 1 or bank 2.

Last edited: