Skeletal's Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skeletal

Getting a bigger hammer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The truck has been acting up a lot recently, getting worse last week. She's idling rough, the transmission is slamming into 2nd pretty damn hard and when cruising between 40 -55 mph the rpms bounce. I got to hook up a computer with GM software to her yesterday and poke around a little bit.

Cylinders 3&4 are missing but only at idle, when driving or holding the rpm above 1k the computer showed no misses. Narrowed down the misses to the injectors since the plugs aren't that old and when I pulled them they were fine, the cap and rotor are in good shape and the plug wires are a month old. With the transmission slamming its not consistent, sometimes it hits hard and jerks the truck other times it shifts completely normal, it has the code P1870 so I'll have to fix that.

I don't know why the rpms bounce, when I set the cruise control or keep the mph steady anywhere between 40-55 the rpm bounce by 200-400. At 60 and above she does fine, it might be a transmission issue but I have no clue. The rpms were bouncing a little bit before (and before the transmission started slamming) but it has gotten worse.

She's getting parked this weekend as I don't want to make any of the issues worse and getting her tag swapped over to Ms.Ferguson on Monday.

Skeletal

Getting a bigger hammer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sitting looking pretty
You must be registered for see images attach

Work will begin on her in a couple weeks, going to sell Ms.Ferguson soon, pick up another 400 then get to work on this 400. I need to name her, done all my previous trucks but not this one.

I'm torn between getting a burb or another ECSS for my next project. I found some trucks online that are similar to what I'm wanting.
Random burb off the internet

nailheads's truck

Burb or truck?

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
In my humble opinion, one of the few things Burbs aren't as good for as pickups, is if you have grungy stuff to haul. The pickup bed can be hosed out. Hard to get grease, oil or transmission fluid out of carpet LOL. But if you ever have the need to haul people around in comfort and style, it's hard to beat a Burb!
:boti:Many have tried, very few have succeeded......
Suburban gets it DONE! For 85 years and counting!

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
In my humble opinion, one of the few things Burbs aren't as good for as pickups, is if you have grungy stuff to haul. The pickup bed can be hosed out. Hard to get grease, oil or transmission fluid out of carpet LOL. But if you ever have the need to haul people around in comfort and style, it's hard to beat a Burb!
:boti:Many have tried, very few have succeeded......
Suburban gets it DONE! For 85 years and counting!
Amen. That's the one things I hate about my extended cabs, it's hard to haul more than 1 other person around.

Dravec

Unashamed 400 addict. Best. Trucks. Ever.
Reaction score
Also, in my '99 K3500 with the 4L80E, I had a similar problem for a while with slamming hard into 2nd. In the end, the 2nd gear lost all band and clutch material and it just tached out in 1st and shifted straight to 3rd. Completely skipped 2nd when it finally went. Just my experience.

Skeletal

Getting a bigger hammer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Burb it is, between on here and the other people I asked the burb got picked more than the truck. Now to start looking for one.

Tahoe/Yukon is also a viable option.
I'm not a fan of lowered 4 door Tahoes, 2 door Tahoes on the other hand are sweet. I'd look for a 2D Tahoe if they weren't so expensive.