Signs of a bad or going bad fuel sending unit or pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Check to see what a Denso would cost you. I got mine through Advance Auto online and used a coupon code to bring the price down. I did have to wait awhile to get it, as they shipped it directly from Denso warehouse. It's quiet, came with a new wire pigtail, and works well.

Reaction score
Anyone have any experiences with Spectra fuel pumps? One of our local independent parts places said they've had good luck with them, even better than the Delphi. Price-wise, within 5 bucks of the Delphi unit if I go local ... over $100 less through Amazon on the same part number. Shipping times about the same either way ...

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know about Spectra fuel pumps but my new Spectra Premium distributor's ICM went bad in less than 3,000 miles, FWIW.

Reaction score
Well, I got the pump installed yesterday. The old one did NOT want to come out, but I won the battle. The Spectra Premium part was a perfect match for the OEM setup, the wiring harness had the right plug and everything. Fuel gauge is reading right, and best of all, engine fired up on the first turn of the key. I just did 5 or 6 key on cycles to prime the system first. The new pump sure is quiet - I couldn't even hear it with the hole in the bed still open, standing outside the cab. (Left the flap up so I could watch for leaks before closing it up.) The old one I could always hear hum when I turned the key.

So pump is changed, truck is running like a champ again, and no leaks. Hopefully the Spectra is good for at least a couple of years ... and my truck forgives me for the bed surgery. I guarantee the only way those bed bolts (or the tank straps for that matter) will ever come out is by cutting them out. Had to drill a new hole for my ground wire screw ... the old bolt was one with the frame. 22 years of Canadian winters will do that, I suppose!
You must be registered for see images attach