Side Molding and Trim After Painting or Not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Classic Parts in KC has some good quality stuff for bumpers,
Thanks, I see they have a front chrome bumper with impact and license holes for $174.95 while CarParts.com has 1 with the trim and valance for $209.29. It looks like CarParts.com is less expensive so far...

GMC-Borg

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of taking that step to get my truck painted. To do it right I need to remove the side molding, wheel well trim, front and rear bumpers, the tonneau cover and bed rails caps I just installed, yada yada yada. Since the bumpers are worn and/or bent and the side molding and front bumper plastic chrome strips are sun burnt and peeling off should I just get a new bumper without trim and leave all the other stuff off? How would it look without any shiny stuff there? I'm thinking of getting a metallic blue base coat clear coat so it'll be shiny too.

You must be registered for see images attach
I left the trim off when I did my 94 and added a few changes such as the wheel well flare kit. I also added RoughCountry 6 inch lift kit.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I left the trim off when I did my 94 and added a few changes such as the wheel well flare kit. I also added RoughCountry 6 inch lift kit.
Nice looking ride! On a 4X4 I'd go with a look like that but, I'm not sure if a C1500 would cut it? That's why I'm asking:33:. It's definitely cheaper going without trim and chrome :anitoof:

96TahoeDoug

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Personally I like the oem look with the chrome and side impact strips. Only reason I took mine off was for fender flares. Otherwise I like that classic look. I plan on putting new moldings around the burb since my current ones are faded and peeling.
I agree on the stock trim ( especially with a static slam ) so here's what plain no plastic looks like front rear and sides, it kills the factory lines and the Tahoe looks like an i Don't know hoe. Now whose got the trim cheaper than LMC?

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I agree on the stock trim ( especially with a static slam ) so here's what plain no plastic looks like front rear and sides, it kills the factory lines and the Tahoe looks like an i Don't know hoe. Now whose got the trim cheaper than LMC?

That's who I was gonna try. Lmc or ask my local body shop lol

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, here's a question - what's your favorite metallic blue? Got any pics?

Also FWIU Maaco can do 2 stage paint (base coat/clear coat, maybe cut & buff), does anyone have any experience with this? The reason I ask is there's a couple Maacos not too far away (El Mirage and Glendale) while most of the reputable painters are across the valley. Or, does anyone know of a good paint shop on the West side of Phoenix?

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OK, here's a question - what's your favorite metallic blue? Got any pics?

Also FWIU Maaco can do 2 stage paint (base coat/clear coat, maybe cut & buff), does anyone have any experience with this? The reason I ask is there's a couple Maacos not too far away (El Mirage and Glendale) while most of the reputable painters are across the valley. Or, does anyone know of a good paint shop on the West side of Phoenix?

Maaco's are independently owned and operated and some have more skilled help then others. The quality of work coming out can vary greatly between shops. Best to go look and see what kind of work they are turning out. I worked at one for awhile. Nights, fixing the regular painters eff-ups. They all don't use the same paint products either. Some use Sherwin-Williams, some Western, some Axalta/Nason. Nason is the better out of all those imho. See what they're actually going to use.

On my truck in my avatar I used the rolled up stuff off Amazon. I cut it with single sided flat blade pruning shears that were wide enough to cut the molding in one shot. Nice smooth cuts with clean edges. Only thing I've found with aftermarket moldings is that the chrome strip doesn't hold up as well. Mine have been on there about 7 years and the chrome strip, you can see in a few places, is starting to de-lam from the rubber. Can't really complain lol

Last edited: