Show us some job carnage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ok, here is some real cornage. In 2005, after hurricane Katrina, was hurricane Reta. My oil drilling rig, was rite in its path. We evacuated 3 or 4 days before the storm hit the rig. The seas were so big, that it pushed to top of the rig, over, 25 feet from it's original location, but the bottom of the legs, were still planted in the same place. We had to go to the shop yard, and have the legs cut off, and repaired, then put back on. In the first pic, you can see where the leg is bent. In the second pic, you can see how much the leg is leaning in at the top. The 3ed pic is 1 of the legs, being reinstalled. In the 4th pic, you can kind of get some idea of just how big the legs are. We were in the shop yard, for 6 months.

Attachments

• 104.jpg
    104.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 31
  • 84.jpg
    84.jpg
    296 KB · Views: 29
  • Setting Bow leg, top section 003.jpg
    Setting Bow leg, top section 003.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 30
  • Setting Port leg, top section 008.jpg
    Setting Port leg, top section 008.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 30

RedneckWithPaychecks

454/350 x (4x4)²
Reaction score
I deal with "carnage" everyday, BUT in the mid 2000s. Worked in NE Wisconsin, near Egg Harbor at that time. Lived with my parents in Sheboygan at that time. Pretty rough time for my family in general. I was building an outbuilding for a church and a small house for the pastor. Carnage begun when I showed up early to get all my tools ready from the van, and I hear a bunch of noise from the outbuilding. The guy nail gun'ed his hand to the frame-boards. The day got worse for me (I worked on the house, the other guys worked on the outbuilding). First there was a supercell storm that snapped a branch and landed on the roof I just put on. A giant branch too, can’t remember the exact dementia (Thanks auto-correct) dimensions but it was the size of the tree in my backyard that I park my hunting truck underneath. Then I went to the hardware store and spent half of my pay check on new roofing supplies. After that, I said to the Pastor “I’m gonna be back on Sunday, I need some divine intervention before I nail gun my hand to the wall”.

After we finished the house and building, I moved to N i m r o d Minnesota, then Newberry Michigan, then Paradise Michigan, and various other places that I don’t care to mention. I did construction work for random people at random places. Traveled where the work was. I settled just outside Superior WI and work for an oil company in the office. I deal with a whole lot of nothing, the "carnage" I have to deal with is my coworkers. Somethings always wrong with them. One recent carnage story happened the other day. I sometimes sell pallets on the side, not often but it makes me some money. I have a plow that I converted into a forklift, it's a giant pain to explain but it boils down to: "I want to buy a forklift but I don't have $10,000 laying around. I know! Lets buy a broken plow for $100 and extend the up and down motion of the hydraulics!". I had a few pallets on it, gonna load it up into my trailer. They all fell off and hit the Dodge, big gouge in it that I have to explain to everyone. Oh well, I don't really care about it. I shouldn't store my trailer beside the Dodge when I'm using the redneck forklift.

A whole lot of minor not work related carnage in my youth. Shooting my grandpa's 61 GMC Carryall and not the biggest turkey I've ever seen, for instance. Not much worth mentioning.

Edit: N i m r o d is censored, forgot that.

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't have actual pictures of our rack at the colo, but we would fit in here nicely.

You must be registered for see images attach
Along those lines, I know of a rack that has signal wires in 110v. One of the guys was working inside and came on a bare wire. Now imagine getting shocked in a tight space while trying to get out.

Brothajack93

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wish I could get some pictures and videos of some of the stuff that happens at my work. The amount of dumb crap that I see cause my boss will put any monkey in a machine is something else. I’d call it funny but I don’t consider putting unintelligent and unexperienced people in wrecking balls on wheels/tracks…. Saw a guy lift a skid of paving stone off the top of another one with our smaller wheel skid steer from a low grade front yard in the development we were working in. Before he even got his load down or got his front wheels off the high curb he zero turns the thing 90 degrees smacking said high curb and almost tipped the bobcat right on its side. I knew the guy had a few screws loose from day one when some 30 year old dude shows up dressing, keeping his facial hair and even talking like an old biker dude. Even said “I’m 30 years old… getting too old to labour”…. Sad thing is the foreman is the absolute worst for being reckless, not paying attention or straight up cowboy and doing dangerous stuff that puts everyone else’s safety at risk. I tell new guys to stay away from him in the machine until they know what to expect. The guy basically backs a tractor or a loader over a car on average once every 2-3 winters cause apparently it’s too difficult to look behind you when backing up with a clear birds eye view

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Years ago I worked as a contractor on the Navy E-6 program. The E-6s are heavies, a Boeing 737 with four GE CFM56s for engines. One evening they had a jet that needed a full-power engine run, so they towed the it to the back of their ramp. They had another jet coming in that was needed room to taxi through, so they backed the jet until the tail of the plane was hanging over the apron. If you're unfamiliar, an aircraft ramp is typically 24" thick concrete to support the weight of the aircraft - with empty fuel tanks the jets are in the neighborhood of 100,000 lbs. The apron is typically just driving room for vehicles, so it can be a few inches of asphalt, and that's what it was in this case. As soon as they cranked the engines up to 100% it peeled the asphalt up and threw it into the tail of the plane. It trashed the horizontal stabs and damage the structure so bad the vertical stab had to be removed. Fortunately the depot is at the same base, so the depot sent a crew over that spent a couple months rebuilding the tail of the plane.

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’m a natural gas compressor tech. Been doing it almost 15 years. I’m Waukesha certified, Several classes on CAT engines. Size reference, that cylinder bore is a little bigger than a basket ball. And the black goo coming out of the crank case inspection door (one door per cylinder) is oil that got hot. After oil sample we found out it had coolant in the oil and the glycol made it turn in to rubber/tar. If it can’t be repaired in the field we swing the engine

Attachments

• 5AACF009-448D-42B4-9656-78307D2EC560.jpeg
    5AACF009-448D-42B4-9656-78307D2EC560.jpeg
    287.1 KB · Views: 32
  • 2C6838B7-B8EA-4FA5-AE2B-4DF523E26CEB.jpeg
    2C6838B7-B8EA-4FA5-AE2B-4DF523E26CEB.jpeg
    262.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 00AE2504-7303-4943-A215-82947D735AC6.png
    00AE2504-7303-4943-A215-82947D735AC6.png
    247 KB · Views: 32
  • 14071382-FCCF-4933-87BC-667BB69BD2F0.jpeg
    14071382-FCCF-4933-87BC-667BB69BD2F0.jpeg
    261.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 38E701B9-0A65-4C34-9DBA-0E4409D1BAC4.jpeg
    38E701B9-0A65-4C34-9DBA-0E4409D1BAC4.jpeg
    129.9 KB · Views: 32

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I’m a natural gas compressor tech. Been doing it almost 15 years. I’m Waukesha certified, Several classes on CAT engines. Size reference, that cylinder bore is a little bigger than a basket ball. And the black goo coming out of the crank case inspection door (one door per cylinder) is oil that got hot. After oil sample we found out it had coolant in the oil and the glycol made it turn in to rubber/tar. If it can’t be repaired in the field we swing the engine

What was that engine's purpose?