Shorty Header question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used a stock stud, but put a nut on both the front and back of the alternator bracket to space it correctly.
On my 88 with the steel accessory brackets, I just used a bolt and nut for the lower alternator bracket, and a stud with spacer for the rear one since the Edelbrock manifold wasn't the same as OEM.
You must be registered for see images attach

jean

Reaction score
A stupid question for sure, but I'm considering buying some headers for my silverado and was wondering if shorty headers would bolt right in place of the stock manifolds. By that I mean being the same length and having no further modifications needed for them to fit. Thanks for reading!
HI .Replaced a crack manifold . With shorties on my 1988. and they bolted right up.

El Tigre

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Installed a pair of ceramic coated JBA headers on my '98 K1500 along with stainless
"off-road" Y-pipe to a stainless 3" single exhaust. Sounds healthy ,and relatively easy install.

Kens1990K2500

One Piece At A Time
Reaction score
Good option to replace a cracked manifold maybe.
Right. My truck had a cracked exhaust manifold when I bought it a year ago, so I installed a set of stainless steel shorty headers I bought off eBay for a little over $100 (they were actually decent quality).

I had to modify the power steering mounting bracket, where it mounted to the factory exhaust manifold, and bend the oil dipstick tube. Headers had a tapping for the oxygen sensor, in the correct spot.

Although these were supposed to line up with the factory Y pipe, they did not. I ended up having a complete, $1,200 custom stainless steel exhaust system installed. I'm glad I did it, though. The old exhaust system was rusty and cobbled together. Now, the truck looks, sounds and runs well.

El Tigre

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
New mandrel bent "Y" pipe should fit. Cat-back exhausts are numerous ,and cost far less

Gmc3500HD

Reaction score
I wouldn't mess with shortys . I went with the Pacesetter 72C2262 on a 97 k2500 . Keeps engine bay cool and increased the hp before andafter the tune . Had them for about 4yrs truck runs great !!

JohnB

Reaction score
In my 1990 C1500, 5.7L, installed Pacesetter silver ceramic shorty headers (Summit Racing). They bolted right in. Attached to Walker Y-pipe, ceramic coated catalytic converter, and Gibson SS CAT back single exhaust. Originally had Taylor carbon exhaust gaskets, but they blew out after about 10,000 miles. Replaced them with tried-and-true GM metal gaskets, AC Delco part# 12550033.