Shorty Header question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Velocity502

Reaction score
A stupid question for sure, but I'm considering buying some headers for my silverado and was wondering if shorty headers would bolt right in place of the stock manifolds. By that I mean being the same length and having no further modifications needed for them to fit. Thanks for reading!

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes, that is the general idea with most shorty headers. They swap in place of the factory manifolds and bolt up to the existing exhaust. Usually very little modification required, if any.

mattillac

Lurker
Reaction score
Not sure if this pertains to the OP, seems as though they have a 1988, judging from a previous post.

There may be a alternator bracket that needs to be dealt with, but is no biggie from what I have read.

You must be registered for see images attach

I have a 1999 5.7 so am just going off of what others have said & done.

It almost always helps if people know the year and engine size of your particular truck, for those smaller details.

Best o luck.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Summit Racing headers, made by Pacer, come with a spacer for the alternator bracket so you can reuse the OE stud with it. On my 88 I have the G9015 with the A.I.R. (smog pump) fittings which fits fine, I think the G9014 is the one without. They're painted black so, you may want to strip them and hit them with some VHT paint. I left mine alone since I live in AZ and don't worry about rust, ha ha.

I also have the JBA mandrel bent Y pipe since the OE crimp bent Y is way restrictive.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know you aren't asking but I wouldn't bother with shorty headers. Most of the gains from headers are due to exhaust scavenging and not flow.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Your questions get more and specific answers when lead with Year, model, Eng size, pretend were blind parts counter guy.:cool:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used a stock stud, but put a nut on both the front and back of the alternator bracket to space it correctly.

I'm on my laptop, don't have the pics on this harddrive, and I don't remember my Google password. Ugh.