Shock extenders

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dusterbd13

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So, not a fan of the new old belltech shocks in the rear of my 4 inch dropped extended cab short bed.

Im also not a fan of the working angles.

Shock extenders are in order. New, about $55.

However, theres shock extenders for the front of 4wd lifted trucks.are they the same? They're $18....

Otherwise, ill fab my own. I have a djm set on my other truck to clone. But i have to wonder if theres a better geometry to use. Is there?

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

BellTech Upper Shock Mount Relocation kit.
Part # 6658.
With a 4" drop & the lower extenders, you'll need longer shocks.
With the upper kit, you won't.

dusterbd13

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

BellTech Upper Shock Mount Relocation kit.
Part # 6658.
With a 4" drop & the lower extenders, you'll need longer shocks.
With the upper kit, you won't.
Longer than stock shocks? Or longer than the drop shocks i have and don't like?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
What are "new old Belltech" shocks? They have nitro drop, and street performance.

Richard

dusterbd13

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What are "new old Belltech" shocks? They have nitro drop, and street performance.

Richard
Original 2004 vintage belltech nitro drop shocks that were bought by a friend of mine and never taken out of the box

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Those ARE vintage shocks!
There's 16 years of shock tech since those were made.
Lower extenders will require a shock 2" longer than the ones you have now.
...and don't like! Lol!

BellTech Street Performers have much better compression & rebound characteristics. Especially for a lowered truck.
During normal driving, they can feel a bit stiffer than those ones that you have. But start to push a bit harder & the truck will feel much more planted to the road. Less front-end dive. Less body roll. Less bottoming out.
Although, with a 2/4 you wouldn't have that prob to begin with anyways.
No more wishy-washy mooshy-soft grampa-ride.
The shocks you have now are not anything special. Just a short version of an OEM shock. Not what you need for a vehicle with less clearance above the tire.

TacosnBeer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
SEWLOW.... so, are you suggesting to use just the uppers or both extended on the lower and upper? What about for a flip kit? I have ALDAN adjustable shocks designed for the flip kit so, they are dialed in for 6-7" Which do you think would be better, upper - lower - or both extenders? I value your input as I know you have experimented with the OBS suspension to the Jedi level.

Last edited:

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Use both the upper relocate mounts & the lower extenders with a 6"-7" drop.
The reason for the lower extensions is that they allow the use of the same shocks required for the 4" drop. Only because it's pretty hard for a 6" shorter shock to have the length of stroke that's needed.
The lowers really just give back 2" in mount-to-mount distance.
They do somewhat correct the angles & probably enough with a 4" drop, but that would dictate the use of a 2" shorter shock.
The relocation upper mounts just correct the shock angles & bring them back to a more acceptable position. The position that the shocks were designed to work at. Too laid out, such as with a 6"+ drop, & they end up merely swinging up-n-down between the mounts when the suspension cycles, as opposed to compressing.
The relocation mounts do shorten the distance between them & the lower mounts, but it's not enough that would dictate a shorter shock. There is no real sweet-spot for shocks to be in, travel-wise. i.e. right in the middle of the stroke when mounted. As long as the they are not bottoming or topping out throughout the suspension travel, you'll have no problems.

TacosnBeer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Use both the upper relocate mounts & the lower extenders with a 6"-7" drop.
The reason for the lower extensions is that they allow the use of the same shocks required for the 4" drop. Only because it's pretty hard for a 6" shorter shock to have the length of stroke that's needed.
The lowers really just give back 2" in mount-to-mount distance.
They do somewhat correct the angles & probably enough with a 4" drop, but that would dictate the use of a 2" shorter shock.
The relocation upper mounts just correct the shock angles & bring them back to a more acceptable position. The position that the shocks were designed to work at. Too laid out, such as with a 6"+ drop, & they end up merely swinging up-n-down between the mounts when the suspension cycles, as opposed to compressing.
The relocation mounts do shorten the distance between them & the lower mounts, but it's not enough that would dictate a shorter shock. There is no real sweet-spot for shocks to be in, travel-wise. i.e. right in the middle of the stroke when mounted. As long as the they are not bottoming or topping out throughout the suspension travel, you'll have no problems.

Awesome info... I haven't done the drop on my truck yet but have the entire set up (- the upper shock reloc) in my garage. Off to order some... thank you for the detailed and educational explanation! Always useful. We should have suspension 101 sticky with this type of info.