Shining under the hood

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bowtie-72

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Damn, looks great Kenny! Just wondering if you were to shoot that with some clear-coat, would it preserve that finish or would it just yellow/cloud up?

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
No clear coat for me. I will just keep it polished. The polish does have a sealer in it, but I will need to repolish from time to time. Its Its not hard to keep up, once its done. If you clear coat, that will yellow in time, and then you have to use paint stripper to remove that. Then start over. Its a lot easies to just keep it polished. About once every 6 months or so is enough. I have done my rims, and aluminum tailgate banner also. Rims are easy to keep up with, but the tailgate banner takes a lot more attention. IDK why, it does, maybe because of where it is, and it gets a lot of abuse because of where it is, or maybe because of the type of aluminum it is. First T G banner pic, is before I repainted the letters.
You must be registered for see images attach

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Oh and in this pic ( where you can see my big fat gut, HaHa) I had not painted the letters yet.
I stripped all of the clear coat off with some air craft spray on paint stripper. Of course, I tapped everything off first

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Some black acrylic enamel spray paint. The hard part was taping them off

Yeah, I know taping off the letters will take some time--luckily I'm a painting contractor and at times do a lot of masking.

I was going to try and just polish off the remnant clear coating, using a foam wheel and chrome polish.