Shifting into 4th but the trans goes into 2nd?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hey all,

New to this forum so sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong place. Anyways,

My buddy has a 1998 k1500 with a 5spd manual. First off, I have no idea what transmission specifically is in it. My buddy doesn't think it's the stock one but he's not super sure. (Update: based on some really quick searching on the Google machine it looks like it could be a zumbrota hm290 5spd) However, I don't know that the specific transmission in question is entirely relevant. If it is please let me know and I'll try to get some definite answers on that.

The issue is that when shifting into 4th, the transmission seems to go into 2nd instead. I haven't had the chance to drive it yet and confirm this, but based on the symptoms he's telling me, that seems to be the most likely issue.

So the question is whether or not there is a good way to confirm what gear the truck is going into instead of fourth, and what would be causing it. I have very little knowledge of what actually happens inside of a manual transmission to make it shift, I just know that I trust myself shifting more than a computer.

Any thoughts are much appreciated, and any descriptions of exactly how a standard transmission shifts as well.

Last edited:

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Zumbrota is a overhaul reman outfit. The original name is Getrag HM 290 thats what GM name is. So when shifting from third to fourth it feels wrong or you complete the shift, release the clutch and rpms zoom up and truck engine brakes like a downshift. There's no inbetween, you see it, hear it, feel it. On the glove box lid is an RPO list, three digit codes listing everything the truck was built with. Good luck.

Reaction score
Zumbrota is a overhaul reman outfit. The original name is Getrag HM 290 thats what GM name is. So when shifting from third to fourth it feels wrong or you complete the shift, release the clutch and rpms zoom up and truck engine brakes like a downshift. There's no inbetween, you see it, hear it, feel it. On the glove box lid is an RPO list, three digit codes listing everything the truck was built with. Good luck.
Thank you for the reply! I just drove the truck and turns out it's shifting just fine. My buddy had been slamming it back into second while trying to shift into fourth. Thanks for the information about the reman company. I had thought that only nv's were used in these trucks, so it's good to know

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the inspiration. Here's my advice to your friend.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media