Shift linkage positioning 4L60 to 4L80

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1Matthias

Reaction score
So to make an exceptionally long story short I'm combining a '95 3500 and a '94 2500. In doing so I'm ending up with the PNP switch on the transmission for the '95 TBI harness and a column shift with the rod linkage for the '94 column and cab, not a cable shifter. I've already modified the bracket that mounts to the transmission and the rod that goes from the transmission to the frame to make it fit. However due to the different spacing between the column and centerline of the shift shaft, the linkage currently binds in drive and will not allow for further shifting. Would anyone be willing to take photos of a stock 4L60 linkage in the park and 1 positions both under the car and at the column, or would anyone happen to have a 4L80 linkage for a column shifter sitting around? If anyone's encountered this before also, please let me know what you did to resolve it! Thank you in advance!

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Good to know, and thanks for the picture comparison. This will undoubtedly help many who want to do this swap, or have trucks with both transmissions (to know what will and won't interchange).

1Matthias

Reaction score
I was honestly shocked that there'd not been a direct comparison that I could find with a cursory google search: from doing this swap I can now say that you will need to take the entire shift assembly from the 4L80 equipped vehicle. Columns seem to interchange, but that's about it. The "intermediate" shaft between the frame and transmission and transmission shift bracket are also different. I made it extra fun for myself and retained the transmission-mounted PNP switch with the column shifter, but that's just me making things harder for myself. Had to shorten the intermediate shaft and slightly modify the bracket to clear the PNP switch.