Shift cable not going back Park

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jus10inbrla

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok.. so first off, this is ONLY mock up. Just getting my measurements rite so dont come at me for the pre fab sayin its jury rigged / redneck ingenuity staying permanently.

after its all built , the console will be custom built / fabric or leather wrapped plywood. And shift mounts will be made from metal…

so; main topic.. This is basically from brand new / never shfit cable before. Its in a 93 that currently has linkage to column shift.

I installed the shift lever, shift cable, boss bracket, u clip to cable.. all of under truck is TIGHT / CORRECT

Issue is in cab / console. Without being connected to shift lever undee truck, i was able to figure out measurements on angle / height of cable mount so it wouldnt have too much bend or angle.

When im connected, it will operate good in (p), (r) , (p) but if i go any gear past that.. i have to pull back HARD to get it in neutral or drive. Once that it is in one of those gears, going back to park i have to hold the cable to keep from snapping.

Any advice welcome. FWIW, shifter is from a 06 buick lacrosse. So the connector pivot ball is good to go .

:09 (reverse operation)
:45 (FINALY to Drive)
1:00 (grabbing cable to help into park)

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Your shifter cable, needs to be hard mounted, for it to work rite. As your shifting, the cable is moving. You really need to mount the cable, onto a steel fork style mount, that is, or can be tied to the shifter itself. That way, everything it tight, and all works together. The wood at the bottom is fine, and I understand that this is just a mock up, but that is where your issue is. Mine looked like this,. ( in the pic) but like you, it is mounted on wood. The cable, goes on the U shaped hole, and the cable clips onto the rounded stud sticking out at the bottom of the shift handle, in front of the black bolt, in the left side. That way, your pulling, or pushing the shift cable against the same base.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220206-195807_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220206-195807_Chrome.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20220206-195721_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220206-195721_Chrome.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

jus10inbrla

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Understood. That makes it alot clearer. I was thinking of using 1/4” tubing clamps originally to keep th cable from wanting to buckle , and you jus reassured me i was on right path. Thanks kenny!!