Shaved firewall worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CarolinaOBS

ZIP TIES AND PB BLASTER
Reaction score
I’m just wondering if anyone has done a shaved firewall while keeping all the amenities. Would it even be worth it with all the ac and wiring still sticking out. Was pondering the idea of swapping all the electrical connections out for deutsch bulkhead fittings. Pictures would be much appreciated. I have to do something with this ugly firewall.
You must be registered for see images attach

Anubis

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is it worth it for me? NO. I have a K1500 and actually prefer the factory look but if your truck is a 2 Wheel Dr. low rider and you want to make it a show truck then maybe it makes sense for you.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Idk, a fresh coat of paint and a nice clean detailed engine compartment works wonders to make things look neater. Painted fenderwells etc.

Unless going the smoothed firewall, welding panels in and move everything look, it's kinda only halfway there.

As far as some plug connectors and moving wiring around, every joint you add can add resistance to that run of wire. Even soldering can to a minute degree, more so if done improperly. In some situations such as 5V circuits sensors run on, you can have issues if you start splicing stuff together improperly. If you don't have crimpers for deutsche connectors you'll need those too.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Is it worth it? IMO, no. The hood is shut 90% of the time, so to me it's not worth the large amount of work to shave it.

Here’s proof that just because something is possible does not make it a good idea.
You must be registered for see images attach
I remember posting that in the funny $hit thread, lmfao. A for effort?

CarolinaOBS

ZIP TIES AND PB BLASTER
Reaction score
Is it worth it? IMO, no. The hood is shut 90% of the time, so to me it's not worth the large amount of work to shave it.

I remember posting that in the funny $hit thread, lmfao. A for effort?
Maybe I should preface where o am with the truck. The truck is already blown completely apart. I’m re doing every nut and bolt. I want an old truck that is practically new. I will drive the piss out of this truck, race it, take it to shows, daily drive, etc. I just figured while I’m here why not go the extra mile and put in a little more effort to have something unique. Granted I don’t see many street trucks with a shaved firewall, probably for good reason. I haven’t seen many pictures of these trucks with a shaved firewall in general.

CarolinaOBS

ZIP TIES AND PB BLASTER
Reaction score
Idk, a fresh coat of paint and a nice clean detailed engine compartment works wonders to make things look neater. Painted fenderwells etc.

Unless going the smoothed firewall, welding panels in and move everything look, it's kinda only halfway there.

As far as some plug connectors and moving wiring around, every joint you add can add resistance to that run of wire. Even soldering can to a minute degree, more so if done improperly. In some situations such as 5V circuits sensors run on, you can have issues if you start splicing stuff together improperly. If you don't have crimpers for deutsche connectors you'll need those too.
Yeah I have sheet steel, was contemplating cutting out all the irregular joints and such and body working it all flat, everything is getting painted anyways. All the wiring already travels through ugly bulkhead connectors. Trucks is getting completely rewired and engine and trans will be stand alone under the hood.