Serpentine belt thrown twice on a 1988 C1500 5.7 350 Silverado

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slade88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
With some more fiddling around I noticed a small amount of play inbetween the power steering pulley and pump, enough to make a small clanging sound when I push it back and forth, maybe a millimeter or so of play? Could this cause the belt to get thrown twice?

Slade88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wish I had the funds to replace all these parts, hope bossman gives me more hours, should I replace the tensioner and pulley first? I don’t want to sacrifice anymore belts

Slade88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That and don't run the AC.
I forgot to mention I made sure to turn the ac off before the second belt snapped, does that narrow it down any further? Wouldn’t it HAVE to be the tensioner at that point? The belt never felt loose. Could it have been too tight due to the basically locked up tensioner that didn’t want to let off pressure on the belt

Jeff Janssen

Reaction score
I forgot to mention I made sure to turn the ac off before the second belt snapped, does that narrow it down any further? Wouldn’t it HAVE to be the tensioner at that point? The belt never felt loose. Could it have been too tight due to the basically locked up tensioner that didn’t want to let off pressure on the belt
depends if your system was set to "DEF". In my understanding, when "Defrost" setting is selected the compressor still turns on to keep things lubricated in the off season. But it sounds to me like it was concluded your tensioner went bad... a bad tensioner will throw a belt in my experience. I'd start with that.