Separating a two piece drives shaft K2500 ECLB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crookedaxle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm having a hard time following you.... blue sealant? You've got lots of yokes, and I'm not sure which ones you're talking about. The slip yoke will have a missing spline, and the spline shaft may have a matching wide spline to match.... not sure on this as my experience with the 2-piece shafts is limited. However, that missing spline is designed so that a shaft can only go together one way.

Caitlyn Jenner???

The male splines have a bright blue plasticy coating on them. It is the color of blue Loctite and looks factory to me. I'm assuming it's to prevent corrosion or take up some of the clearance between them. Not much came off when I took them apart so I left it on. It didn't really keep me from separating them because it slid free in the area it needs to in assembly when it's on the truck. It seemed to be the rubber sealing cap sliding over the splines that was the culprit. The reason I asked about the missing spline on the slip yoke, is that I was wondering if it's just a universal slip yoke that's used in other applications and there is no matching missing spline on the male splines of the shaft and that's how it could have gotten assembled out of phase or if there is a missing spline on the shaft and it doesn't matter if they're in phase or not or it's a factory screw up. I couldn't tell if there's a missing spline on the shaft or not since the blue coating filled the gap of the missing spline from the yoke. I didn't want to pick it apart to find out. It didn't have any vibration until my universal joints went to hell so that's why I left it like it is. It's going to have to come apart again to replace the hanger bearing anyways. Yes, I should have taken pictures.

Crookedaxle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So will/was the same effort required to reassemble as to disassemble?

Not as bad. I pulled it together with a ratchet strap in the vice. Once you get it together in the location where it is assembled while on the truck it slips fine in that small area of travel which would only be 1/4"-1/2" I'd imagine.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
The male splines have a bright blue plasticy coating on them...

Oh, now that I think about it, some of those spline shafts did get a coating of some kind... I can't remember what it was called through. It was black not blue, but I suppose the color could have changed over the production run.

Crookedaxle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh, now that I think about it, some of those spline shafts did get a coating of some kind... I can't remember what it was called through. It was black not blue, but I suppose the color could have changed over the production run.

Supposedly it's Teflon from reading a few of the posts I've attached.

Crookedaxle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just took it for a 16 mile cruise and all seems fine now. No vibration, but it's below zero out. We'll find out more when the weather warms up.

Crookedaxle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Speaking of universal joints....Why are non-greasable universal joints even a purchase option and who the hell would buy one? I understand why they make tie rod ends and ball joints this way but you can't overfill and split the bellows on a universal joint because they don't exist and you get them dirty when installing them, it's just a matter of to what degree. I pump 15-20 shots of fresh grease and flex them as I'm doing it to extract **** from the needle bearings in every one I ever install. Gets any grit or moisture out and you're using grease of known quality because I don't know how well Chinese grease specs out.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
The non-greaseable u-joints are stronger and if the seals do their job they last a very long time. I've only replaced one on my truck.