Separating a two piece drives shaft K2500 ECLB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crookedaxle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have my driveshaft pulled from the rear end. I pushed it forward to drop it about 3/4" with no problem. I dropped it and have only been able to pull it back a bit over an inch. What's holding it together? It looks like there's a rubber seal cap with a grease zerk in it. The cap just spins on the slip yoke and I can pop it off either. Been pounding the slip yoke backwards with a brass hammer and it ain't budging. 1993 GMC K2500 ECLB 4L80E 454

Looks like this.

You must be registered for see images attach

Crookedaxle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You get it apart by taking the entire drive shaft off the truck, hooking one end to a tree and the other end to your loader tractor and beating it apart with a brass hammer. I don't know why it was so damn hard to come apart, it was fiull of grease and isn't rusty at all. I couldn't separate it on the truck. I guess in the end it's just as easy to take the whole damn thing off anyways.

Crookedaxle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How does this work being out of phase like this? It looks all OEM to me when I pulled it apart, unless sealing it up with this blue **** (sealant?) is something you'd do after replacing the hanger bearing or something. The blue sealant on the splines matched the yokes missing spline. This is how it came apart and how I put it back together. Is it just the blue sealant on the male splines that match the missing spline in the yoke or is there a spline under there? In other words, is the missing spline on the yoke only or both the yoke and the male shaft? I put in all three universal joints today but will have to pull it apart again to do the hanger in the spring if it lasts that long. I didn't know what size I needed when I got the universal joints that I had to get in this weekend. But now the damn thing sits on my shop floor because I had a brain fart and got a rear seal for the Caitlyn Jenner instead of a transfer case like I should have. I'll get one tomorrow.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
How does this work being out of phase like this? It looks all OEM to me when I pulled it apart, unless sealing it up with this blue **** (sealant?)

is something you'd do after replacing the hanger bearing or something. The blue sealant on the splines matched the yokes missing spline. This is how it came apart and how I put it back together. Is it just the blue sealant on the male splines that match the missing spline in the yoke or is there a spline under there? In other words, is the missing spline on the yoke only or both the yoke and the male shaft? I put in all three universal joints today but will have to pull it apart again to do the hanger in the spring if it lasts that long. I didn't know what size I needed when I got the universal joints that I had to get in this weekend. But now the damn thing sits on my shop floor because I had a brain fart and got a rear seal for the Caitlyn Jenner instead of a transfer case like I should have. I'll get one tomorrow.

I'm having a hard time following you.... blue sealant? You've got lots of yokes, and I'm not sure which ones you're talking about. The slip yoke will have a missing spline, and the spline shaft may have a matching wide spline to match.... not sure on this as my experience with the 2-piece shafts is limited. However, that missing spline is designed so that a shaft can only go together one way.

Caitlyn Jenner???

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
I seen a factory 2500 2 piece shaft that was out of phase like that, a driveshaft shop I took it to said they see them every now and then.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Looking at the first picture, I think the "blue sealant" is the grease applied for photo purposes. It normally would be shot into the slip yoke.