Seeking small air compressor recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
So.... this is what I bought just tonight: https://www.menards.com/main/tools/...3-c-12910.htm?tid=-4666906969390797097&ipos=9

It turns out there are brands out there, that I've never heard of, such as the Fini (Italian, but made in China) that Mr. Pink suggested, and California Air Tools that someone else mentioned. I was looking hard at the little California Air Tools compressor, and although good, I think it's a little too small. The Fini that Mr. Pink was a bit more than I wanted to spend, and a bit larger. I decided on this bigger, little compressor... supposed to be 2.5cfm@90psi instead of the 1.2 of the CAT. One of the reviews of the CAT had mentioned that blowing dust off used more air than the CAT could really put out reliably. I won't necessarily be doing large areas, but an air nozzle is something I will want to use for drying off stuff....think blowing water off after cleaning an engine bay.

Menard's also had another CAT compressor, but it's not on their website. I think it's this one: https://www.californiaairtools.com/...sumer-grade/1-0-hp-air-compressor/cat-4710sq/
It was on Clearance for a good price.... maybe $160-ish? It's rated for 1000 hours instead of 3000 hours like thier smaller one. No idea what the Fini is good for.

I might return the one I bought in favor of the larger CAT compressor.... haven't decided yet.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I guess I'm keeping the Fini. I used it tonight to pump up the front tires on my LeSabre... both had gone so flat that I had to use my floor jack to take the weight off of them before the bead would seal, to get air in them.

I had to run to Menard's first because I couln't find my air chuck, it's been so long since I've had a functioning compressor. I also bought one of those cheap poly coiled hoses, and then found out that both ends had male threads, and I didn't have a male quick connect with female threads.... so I'll dig for one, and if I don't find one, go buy one tomorrow. So I used my expensive hose that's pretty easy to work with in the cold.... I think it's a Parker Push-Loc. I just figured the cheapy poly hose that coils up by-itself would be nice and easy for tires.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks like mount style, most obvious difference, anyway. HT6 has the 4 bolt holes for the Vortec bracket setup where the bolts go down on either side of the case; HR6 has them forward-facing with a flange behind the clutch. I dunno what the HR6 application is? Appears to be the same case design as the HT6, where it leaks in the middle at the case split.

Richard
You must be registered for see images attach

Down low on one of these, lol
heres a PDF on how to properly mount them to avoid issue lol

Attachments

• harrison.pdf
    923.1 KB · Views: 0

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Not one of GM's finest moments....glad I never had to mess with it on Dad's 06 Denali, LS 6.0, AWD, mounted low, no room, can't hardly see it let alone get tools on it. Just changing the belt wasn't fun or easy.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not one of GM's finest moments....glad I never had to mess with it on Dad's 06 Denali, LS 6.0, AWD, mounted low, no room, can't hardly see it let alone get tools on it. Just changing the belt wasn't fun or easy.
The SS's aren't AWD for '06, but I didn't find belt replacement tricky at all. I did however ditch the secondary tensioner and went to the gmt900-style "stretch belt" - super easy. Mind you the fancy Gates tool for belt install didn't fit my crank pulley (or I'm an idiot/was in a hurry) so I just did the ziptie method. Zip tie the belt to the crank pulley and then muscle it the rest of the way on turning the crank pulley bolt.

Before.. (chucked the A/C belt on the way home one day)

and after (belt sourced by looking up a 2009 with the 6.0)

Richard

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just want a small compressor for light use.... mostly airing up tires. Maybe spraying some degreaser/oil/undercoating or some paint on pieces/parts (no panels).
Tires is the main thing.
I have an HF 26 gallon in the garage that I have had for over 20 years. I may have changed the oil once. I also have a pancake style in the workshop that is at least 15 years old. They both have the same oil type pump and they both work fine. I agree that the oil type is the way to go. For my limited use, tires and the occasional impact or air ratchet in the garage and in the workshop the occasional pin nailer or to blow off sawdust or chips they both have earned their keep 20 times over. YMMV but the HF oil types have worked very well for me.