Seeking scan tool advice '99 K1500 Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OGD_OBS

Reaction score
So I have searched and cannot locate what I need. I have a '99 k1500 suburban, 5.7L, 4L60E, NP246 push button xfer case with 177+k. Cannot get front end to engage with pushbutton. No sugnal to the motor at the front diff. Transfer case shifts into high and low without issue. Rather than employ shotgun diagnostics, I wonder if anyone can recommend a scantool that will allow reading of codes from the transfer case. I have a complete set of GM Tech manuals for the '98 (since '99 is essentially '98) and all the diagnostic steps direct you "read code nn". Also have ABS light and would like to capture live data for some knowledge and information in an attmept to head off issues.

This is for personal use and needs to be affordable. Please make recommendations, regardless cost or brand, so I can decide if this is a route I want to take, or if I need to find a pro with the right tool and pay for their services. I just need to make this work reliably and while I enjoy DIY, sometimes you just gotta know when to pay a pro.

Thanks for anything you can do.
Rich

'99 K1500
5.7 V8
L460E
NP246
4.56: r/p front and rear
transforming into expedition vehicle for missus, puppers and me.
SE Arizona is home

drifterwanb666

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rather have you checked the sensor atop the transfer case? I dont know much about the 246 case but the 243C i have in my tahoe and 243 in my k1500 have a three pin sensor atop the case that, when you go into hi/lo it jumps the (i belive hot?) And sends signal to your axle shaft motor and your floor light. You may have something similar.

OGD_OBS

Reaction score
Rather have you checked the sensor atop the transfer case? I dont know much about the 246 case but the 243C i have in my tahoe and 243 in my k1500 have a three pin sensor atop the case that, when you go into hi/lo it jumps the (i belive hot?) And sends signal to your axle shaft motor and your floor light. You may have something similar.
I will give that a go once I can get her into the garage. Been waiting for Mother Nature to be a bit less Bipolar on the weekends and so far... no such deal.

RCFallis

Reaction score
So I have searched and cannot locate what I need. I have a '99 k1500 suburban, 5.7L, 4L60E, NP246 push button xfer case with 177+k. Cannot get front end to engage with pushbutton. No sugnal to the motor at the front diff. Transfer case shifts into high and low without issue. Rather than employ shotgun diagnostics, I wonder if anyone can recommend a scantool that will allow reading of codes from the transfer case. I have a complete set of GM Tech manuals for the '98 (since '99 is essentially '98) and all the diagnostic steps direct you "read code nn". Also have ABS light and would like to capture live data for some knowledge and information in an attmept to head off issues.

This is for personal use and needs to be affordable. Please make recommendations, regardless cost or brand, so I can decide if this is a route I want to take, or if I need to find a pro with the right tool and pay for their services. I just need to make this work reliably and while I enjoy DIY, sometimes you just gotta know when to pay a pro.

Thanks for anything you can do.
Rich

'99 K1500
5.7 V8
L460E
NP246
4.56: r/p front and rear
transforming into expedition vehicle for missus, puppers and me.
SE Arizona is home
Visit Harbor Freight. They have a Bluetooth OBD2 plug in but it only works with Android. Look it up online. $65.00 and it reads live date like CamRetard and others. Not sure about NN but the App is a free download with free lifetime updates.
It fixed my P1345 code out of the box.

Attachments

• IMG_6783.jpeg
    IMG_6783.jpeg
    448.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_6785.jpeg
    IMG_6785.jpeg
    273.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_6786.jpeg
    IMG_6786.jpeg
    194.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6779.jpeg
    IMG_6779.jpeg
    521.8 KB · Views: 11

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Many other threads all covering the same info, if you search for them.