Security alarm randomly goes off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hwes74

Reaction score
My 01 s10 is stock w an aftermarket radio. The radio has been in it for over 2 years. Here in the last month the factory security alarm has been randomly going off w no obvious reason. How can I bypass this system without having any other electrical issues like not starting or fuel pump no worky or ANYTHING that would default factory controls? Logical and intelligent answers totally accepted... Thanks

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 01 s10 is stock w an aftermarket radio. The radio has been in it for over 2 years. Here in the last month the factory security alarm has been randomly going off w no obvious reason. How can I bypass this system without having any other electrical issues like not starting or fuel pump no worky or ANYTHING that would default factory controls? Logical and intelligent answers totally accepted... Thanks
Official Disclaimer!
I know nothing about factory s-10 alarm systems.
All of my hard earned alarm grief comes from german cars.
My wifes Jetta alarm would random during rain storms.
That was crumbled insulation on the A pillar to door harness and a leaking door seal letting water into the wire loom.
The next time it did it was because of an intermittant bad door switch.
You can check that by seeing if your dome light turns on and off or flickers when you push on the switch.
I have heard of this problem happening on cars with sagging doors.
Sometimes the door hangs on the sill when you slam it shut but it falls off later
and doesnt contact the switch anymore.
That also tends to break that plastic door switch.
The next round was a corroded hood plunger switch.
The rubber boot had split and water had corroded the contacts which caused an intermittant.
Basically on a vw the place to start is with the "wear" parts.
Anything that moves.
The A pillar harness has to flex everytime you open or close the door.
Same with the door jamb switch or the hood plunger switch.
And then check for good grounds.
I think that some switch is either loosing contact or loosing ground and making the alarm trigger as an open door or open hood.