Seat foam coming out of seat belt buckle holes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

loosh

Reaction score
Does anyone have any good solutions to this? Is there a way to reattach these seat belt grommets so they aren’t just kind of floating around doing whatever they want? These seats are in PERFECT condition aside from this foam coming out of the buckle holes
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
It's not those plastic grommets that are the problem.
They're still attached to the cover.
Don't mess with them!
That crud's spewing outa there because the foam's dead.
It happens.
I can tell just from how loose the cover is fitting.
Don't mess with those grommets!
Especially with an old original cover. Once removed, they don't like to stay attached to the fabric/vinyl once they are reinstalled. The fabric/vinyl just won't stay pinched in between the two pieces of the grommet. They'll continually pull away from the material & end up floating around the head of the seat belts.
That WILL be a major nuisance for as long as you own the truck.

Here's a link to replacement foam.

* Make sure to read the Product Details as there is 2 variations.

I tried to find just cushion foam, but it seems that that is only sold in sets. Cushion and backrest.
Several vendors, all showing the same pic.
Prices range from $289.95 to $$449.00. SMH.
The link posted is the least expensive.

This is a job you can do yourself.
About a 3.5 on a difficulty scale of 10.
I can help you out with the -re-n-re, but if you do attempt to do this, there is one thing you should know before anything else.

DO NOT pull the seat belts through those grommets!

Undo the belts from the floor. It's a torx. Size? I dunno. I have 4 or 5 of the 'right' size. I just call 'em the torx for the seat belts. I've used them so many times I recognize them by sight. By feel. In the dark.
Leave the belts in the seat when it gets removed from the truck.
Leave the belts in the cover when it gets removed from the foam/frame.
The hole for the belts through the foam is plenty large so there's no fighting with that.

Last edited:

Cadillac Bob

Slammin original 4x4 Cadillac doors!
Reaction score
Yes foams all dried out and breaking down but a really good shop vac’ing should help and loook up what can be done to re-moisturize foam if possible? But you may just have to vac them belt holes out every so often.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had to take a double take. At first glance I thought it said “Sea Foam coming out of seat belt buckle holes”. :oops:

loosh

Reaction score
It's not those plastic grommets that are the problem.
They're still attached to the cover.
Don't mess with them!
That crud's spewing outa there because the foam's dead.
It happens.
I can tell just from how loose the cover is fitting.
Don't mess with those grommets!
Especially with an old original cover. Once removed, they don't like to stay attached to the fabric/vinyl once they are reinstalled. The fabric/vinyl just won't stay pinched in between the two pieces of the grommet. They'll continually pull away from the material & end up floating around the head of the seat belts.
That WILL be a major nuisance for as long as you own the truck.

Here's a link to replacement foam.

* Make sure to read the Product Details as there is 2 variations.

I tried to find just cushion foam, but it seems that that is only sold in sets. Cushion and backrest.
Several vendors, all showing the same pic.
Prices range from $289.95 to $$449.00. SMH.
The link posted is the least expensive.

This is a job you can do yourself.
About a 3.5 on a difficulty scale of 10.
I can help you out with the -re-n-re, but if you do attempt to do this, there is one thing you should know before anything else.

DO NOT pull the seat belts through those grommets!

Undo the belts from the floor. It's a torx. Size? I dunno. I have 4 or 5 of the 'right' size. I just call 'em the torx for the seat belts. I've used them so many times I recognize them by sight. By feel. In the dark.
Leave the belts in the seat when it gets removed from the truck.
Leave the belts in the cover when it gets removed from the foam/frame.
The hole for the belts through the foam is plenty large so there's no fighting with that.
Hey thanks! This might be a Christmas present to myself. I see these covers are just attached with hog rings, but I ain’t never had no hogs. Are you gonna send me to jail if I do this project with zip ties instead of rings?

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Nah. No jail.
But you should know...
Some occupations are over-represented in serial killers. The skilled labor jobs are aircraft mechanical engineers, shoemakers, and car upholsterers.
I've never made shoes.

These seats have few hog rings, actually.
The cushion cover has a full length plastic strip that clips onto the frame, & the hog rings are only in the center where the seat frame rises over the trans hump.
The back of the cushion has another long plastic clip, full length of the cover.
The backrest is a zipper on most, hog rings on others.
If it's held with H/rings, take a look & see if the front or the back was attached to the frame first. It can make a diff in how the cover fits.
First on/last off.
Pick up these. Not 'pro' quality, but they're good for the home hobby guy. The angled ones are easier to use than the straight ones.
They come with the proper H/rings, too. (You want the H/rings with the sharp points.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited: