Seat bottoms

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I wanted to have mine recovered by a pro, but nobody will touch it.

What a bunch of dumb-ass slackers.
If they considered themselves 'PRO', they'd have a steamer.
A minimum basic standard tool for any upholstery shop. I use mine daily. As necessary as a sewing machine.
I don't know how a 'pro' could get professional results without one.
Use of the steamer will soften up the glue so that the glued-on fabric cover can be slowly & steadily worked off, with no damage to the base foam. Just takes a bit of patience. Finicky finger work, but that's what the whole trade is about, to begin with.
Learning the use of a steamer is Basic Auto Trimmer 101 knowledge.
You can buy a home version at WalMart for under $100.00. Labelled as Clothes or Drapery steamers. Use it for the job, (Both for the removal & the install. The covers will install easier & fit better when steamed.) then give it to the wife/GF/Mom. Earned Brownie points.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
the covers were made to put over the cloth.

That's the Chester & Fester Bester Tester's Used CarLot, Laundromat & PinBall Emporium method. ("Open 24 hours!")
Crap like that makes me cringe. My teeth hurt.
Maybe it's just me, maybe I'm too fussy, but I could never do that. IMO, it's just wrong. Might as well just buy a set of average ordinary seat covers.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, that's C&FFBTUCLL&PBE huh, what an acronym, LOL! I love it and, it's people like them that give this industry a bad name!

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
What a bunch of dumb-ass slackers.
If they considered themselves 'PRO', they'd have a steamer.
A minimum basic standard tool for any upholstery shop. I use mine daily. As necessary as a sewing machine.
I don't know how a 'pro' could get professional results without one.
Use of the steamer will soften up the glue so that the glued-on fabric cover can be slowly & steadily worked off, with no damage to the base foam. Just takes a bit of patience. Finicky finger work, but that's what the whole trade is about, to begin with.
Learning the use of a steamer is Basic Auto Trimmer 101 knowledge.
You can buy a home version at WalMart for under $100.00. Labelled as Clothes or Drapery steamers. Use it for the job, (Both for the removal & the install. The covers will install easier & fit better when steamed.) then give it to the wife/GF/Mom. Earned Brownie points.
The problem in my area, is that the shops here all have owners in there 50s,60s and even 70s, and if its work, they dont want to do it any more. All of our shops here are a 1 man operation, or maybe a husband and wire operation. There are no big shops here at all, and most of the owners seem to be shady at best. Last guy I spoke to, was going to do the work. He was 3 towns over, so I pulled my seat, and dropped it off. The next day, I called, and they said, they have some gray fabric that may be close. I was pissed. I talked to these people several times, and even gave them the fabric code, along with the guys name and phone number where they could get the OE fabric. This was a few months ago. Well, I see the owner on the news, a few weeks ago, under a rest for some shady crap He pulled in His town. I just can find anybody who wants to do the job. Its not easy accarding to them. I think I could get it off myself. Problem is, my truck is my driver, and I just can do without it for any real amount of time.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The problem in my area, is that the shops here all have owners in there 50s,60s and even 70s, and if its work, they dont want to do it any more. All of our shops here are a 1 man operation, or maybe a husband and wire operation. There are no big shops here at all, and most of the owners seem to be shady at best. Last guy I spoke to, was going to do the work. He was 3 towns over, so I pulled my seat, and dropped it off. The next day, I called, and they said, they have some gray fabric that may be close. I was pissed. I talked to these people several times, and even gave them the fabric code, along with the guys name and phone number where they could get the OE fabric. This was a few months ago. Well, I see the owner on the news, a few weeks ago, under a rest for some shady crap He pulled in His town. I just can find anybody who wants to do the job. Its not easy accarding to them. I think I could get it off myself. Problem is, my truck is my driver, and I just can do without it for any real amount of time.

That sucks. Up here it is the opposite - the 50-70 year olds will work as hard as their bodies will allow, and the young guys are lazy as ****.