seat action

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KRS1

be .00 take .00
Reaction score
Hey guys, it appears like my seat binds up. I noticed when mounted it did the same thing, am I missing a piece? Here is a video that shows what I think is happening..

Thanks

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
First, disconnect the big spring. That'll make working on the track much easier.
There should be 2 rollers inside each track. Sometimes one will get spit out if it jumps over the internal stop.
Blow them all out. Wipe off as much of the old grease that you can. There may be a piece of crud in there being held by the grease. Maybe a pebble, a piece of gum wrapper of someone's earring in the way of the roller, peventing the track from moving smoothly or getting full travel.
Check for straightness of the upper & lower 1/2's of the tracks. Eapecially if the truck was ever in an accident.
Use some lithium to grease up the rails where each of the two 1/2's slide against each other. Make sure where the rollers are that they get lots over the length of their travel.

KRS1

be .00 take .00
Reaction score
Thanks Sewlow! I will take them apart, worse comes to worse replace the tracks

KRS1

be .00 take .00
Reaction score
I lubed up the tracks and couldn't find any obstructions. I think there are pieces missing, the one large spring doesn't seem to connect properly. I might remove a seat at the yard to compare.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
When I got my 97, the seat would not move back - took it apart and found that one of the rollers in the driver side mech had exploded at some point and was keeping the track from moving - ended up replacing the entire bracket with one from a u-pull-it yard.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I got my 97, the seat would not move back - took it apart and found that one of the rollers in the driver side mech had exploded at some point and was keeping the track from moving - ended up replacing the entire bracket with one from a u-pull-it yard.

Some pictures of the old part or of how you replaced it would possibly add to the body of knowledge here. I keep a "truck" directory on my computer with stuff like this. What do you mean by "exploded"?

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
As I recall, there are two 10mm bolts holding the track mechanism to the seat, simply remove them and the track comes off (of course remove the springs and release cable) ... I'll have to see if I can find my pictures, if I do I'll update this post. As far as exploded, the roller was in about six different pieces.. Don't think I have any pictures of that tho.

Well it seems I wasn't big on taking pics of things like that at the time.. But I do have these.

20160221_152827-jpg.183460

20160221_155342-jpg.183461

It mounts real easy, not much to it.

Last edited:

KRS1

be .00 take .00
Reaction score
Thanks guys, yes I tightened up those 10 mm bracket holding bolts on mine. It doesn't look it would take much to remove the brackets. If the yard is still open (businesses are being forced to shut down due to virus) I will take some pics..