Search function

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

red98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anyone else have a near impossible time getting decent search results? Maybe I'm just bad at using it, but I do fine on Google advanced search, the function we have seems to not work entirely.
I know theres a thread called "VIN DECODER" or something similar, but I can't seem to find it even though I posted in it multiple times (i wanna go look at my RPO codes), maybe theres a better way to do this and I'm just ignorant?

red98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've never had good luck with the search engine here, I use Google too.

IIRC @1ton-o-fun started that thread.
He did, I even search for posts by him and still have a hard time finding it. Even when I check "search titles only" and put "VIN" in the search, it just wants to pull up everything he's ever commented lmao.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Anyone else have a near impossible time getting decent search results? Maybe I'm just bad at using it, but I do fine on Google advanced search, the function we have seems to not work entirely.
I know theres a thread called "VIN DECODER" or something similar, but I can't seem to find it even though I posted in it multiple times (i wanna go look at my RPO codes), maybe theres a better way to do this and I'm just ignorant?
Some times, its hard to find just what your looking for, and the more post you have, the harder it becomes. If your sure its something you replied to, then you can go look in your messages by clicking on your avatar. That will show everything you have posted. When searching, you can click on titles only. This will narrow your search. Also you can click on the posted by box and ot will only look at what that member has posted. I often use this when Im looking for a thread that I know I posted in the past. There are hundreds of thousands of threads on this forum. The search engine only looks for key words.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
He did, I even search for posts by him and still have a hard time finding it. Even when I check "search titles only" and put "VIN" in the search, it just wants to pull up everything he's ever commented lmao.
We were replying at the same time. I see you got it down. It can be frustrating sometimes.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It seems to me that "titles only" doesn't work, I search @1ton-o-fun's posts, title only, and just put "VIN" in and it pulls up like everything he's ever done on this site it seems.
I tried to search Vin, and nothing comes up. That maybe why your getting all of his post.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ok, I found it. You have to type it in, just like it is on the thread cap V cap I Cap N space cap D lower case all other letters. So VIN Decoder. It is on the first page about 1/2 way down.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

FYI, I'm pretty sure the reason that thread doesn't pop up using site:gmt400.com on Google is that it's in the Lounge section, which is a members only section. Therefore I don't think Google indexes it. I could be wrong though.