Seafoam OR Marvel Mystery oil?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Neither for me. I'm of the opinion that most "fix in a can" products are unnecessary at best.

Yeah yeah.. But if you buy something that's already junk, what's the harm in a $5 can for ***** & giggles?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Now, I don't care for anything Lucas Mucus unless it's their chain lube. "Oil Stabilizer" :rolleyes:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah yeah.. But if you buy something that's already junk, what's the harm in a $5 can for ***** & giggles?

I almost made a disclaimer in my post for that exact situation. On something that's junky with no known maintenance history, sure. Throw a can of Seafoam at it if you want. But I'd never put it in anything I've owned for a while and know the history on.

DavidAlan

Reaction score
I was in the engine and tranny business for 10 years will a very rep company, and they swear by Lucas oil, these got over 400 years of experience between them, from the old timers, and they use when they used race NASCAR.
I love seafoam,been using for a very long time

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
My neighbor has two brand new vehicles and he is putting Seaform in both of them. Told him he was nuts, and may void his warranty. My 5.7 is still purring at 24yrs, have not needed it.

He's not going to void his warranty just by using an additive. How he using it? Doing the whole putting it in the intake until it stalls would be pointless on a new vehicles, but putting it in the gas or oil should be fine..... it's not like it's made out of something that's going to hurt the engine.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would always thought seafoam was mostly denatured alcohol. I usually buy it at Walgreens.
God Bless SDS (Safety Data Sheets)
https://seafoamworks.com/uploads/2019/09/SDS-SFMT-US-ENG-v20190905-1.pdf

Not more than 25% isopropanol
Not less than 5% isopropanol
Remainder is "hydrocarbon blend". Exact proportion is a "trade secret".

More like alcohol-doped petrochemical, than "denatured alcohol".

Then there's MMO.

https://www.marvelmysteryoil.com/media/1766/marvel_mystery_oil_sds_us_082620_final.pdf

Petroleum distillates, phosphoric acid, and two flavors of dichlorobenzine.

Last edited:

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
Shurkey, you're damn smart. Can you summarize what that means to someone who dosent know much about chemicals. Obviously it's not a very environmentally solution, dont drink it. Haha.

In my limited experience with these products they have worked for me. When I first bought the burb it was tapping like a *****, some routine mmo in the crank case along with some shorter oil changes made it go completely away. Now it purrs like a kitten still 10 years later.

With the seafoam I used max does in the fuel for my 10hp 1963 johnson when it was acting like it was running on one cylinder, within a few minutes I was back up on plain heading to a fishing hole. Worked for me.

But that's it. I don't see anything wrong with those. Rebuilding my burbs engine at the time when theres no way I could afford it because its tapping? Carbon build up. Dad said put the peddle to the metal, keep it straight. I'm like Dad we cant do that anymore.... his generation is responsible for all the damn stops signs in the town I'm from. But hes right, to clean the carbon out.

Shurkey, I have heard about the water trick but not until after i had already done it. A buddy said take a spray bottle and spray the intake with a mist until it dies. Get it going again and it will puke out all the bullshit... gee I think I'd rather burn it then send it toward my O2 sensors. But I dont know I am FAR from an expert.

Al