Scsb dually conversion/full restoration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89obsSB

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I Have an 89 scsb.
Doing an actual restoration. Everything was off. No shortcuts. I didn’t say I’m restoring it but never pull the cab like a lot of people would say cause that’s not really restored.
Was originally going to do a ground up resto mod type of build. As far as I’ve gotten is frame stripped down all painted (por15) black. Rough country 2/4 drop kit and All energy suspension bushings.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

My wife has a cclb dually. And now I’m having thoughts about converting my scsb into a dually. It would be different I know it’s been done a lot before but I don’t think it was an option for a single cab short bed. I could be wrong. I know I’d have to get a different rear axle just wasn’t 100% sure on front. Are the spindles the same just need the 3500 rotors or would I need to purchase spindles as well???

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
My wife has a cclb dually. And now I’m having thoughts about converting my scsb into a dually. It would be different I know it’s been done a lot before but I don’t think it was an option for a single cab short bed. I could be wrong. I know I’d have to get a different rear axle just wasn’t 100% sure on front. Are the spindles the same just need the 3500 rotors or would I need to purchase spindles as well???
Spindles are completely different, and the control arms are more stout too but the frame mounts on the c3500 should match up to the c1500 but not 100% sure.

89obsSB

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Spindles are completely different, and the control arms are more stout too but the frame mounts on the c3500 should match up to the c1500 but not 100% sure.
I know the control arms are tubular on the duallys and the c1500 have the triangle plate looking control arms. What about calipers?

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
Definitely different I think they are a dual piston setup.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I know the control arms are tubular on the duallys and the c1500 have the triangle plate looking control arms. What about calipers?

The upper control arms are solid, not tubular.

Definitely different I think they are a dual piston setup.

They're big single piston calipers. The only dual piston brakes on a GMT-400 were on the 3500HD.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I’ll have to pull the front wheels on my wife’s dually and compare them side by side.

They basically all the look the same..... even the half ton calipers. They're just different sizes. The dually calipers will use different rubber parts on the pins, which will be the most obvious differance. Even the pads are the same shape.

89obsSB

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They basically all the look the same..... even the half ton calipers. They're just different sizes. The dually calipers will use different rubber parts on the pins, which will be the most obvious differance. Even the pads are the same shape.
That’s kinda what I thought from the last time I had the wheels off from what I can remember

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There are two rear axle width. Wide axle for standard bed and narrower axle for cab chassis ( flatbed). Are actually gonna carry tow as dually or just looks, show?