Scangauge/Ultragauge OBDII Reader

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

phatphuck

plus sized grandpa
Reaction score
Anyone running these or similar on the kate model trucks? What are your thoughts?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Never heard of these before, just Googled them. Just curious, what is the advantage of this over an ELM327 Bluetooth OBD2 adapter and a cell phone? It seems to me that it's the exact same concept with fewer capabilities and a less attractive/capable gauge interface.

I use a PLX Kiwi adapter and the Torque Pro app for Android. If you want a gauge display, suction cup cell phone mounts are cheap.

phatphuck

plus sized grandpa
Reaction score
Never heard of these before, just Googled them. Just curious, what is the advantage of this over an ELM327 Bluetooth OBD2 adapter and a cell phone? It seems to me that it's the exact same concept with fewer capabilities and a less attractive/capable gauge interface.

I use a PLX Kiwi adapter and the Torque Pro app for Android. If you want a gauge display, suction cup cell phone mounts are cheap.

That's a good question! Mostly because I have never heard of them. I'm gonna look into those real quick

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That's a good question! Mostly because I have never heard of them. I'm gonna look into those real quick

There are a ton of cheap Bluetooth OBD2 adapters but in my experience they're very picky about which vehicles they will connect to. That's why I mentioned the PLX Kiwi. They're more expensive than most of the other options but so far it's worked on every vehicle I've tried it with. Mine's the old school original model, they're up to the fourth revision now. The Kiwi 3 is what I'd recommend out of their current lineup, the Kiwi 4 looks like it's got some unnecessary features IMO.

https://www.amazon.com/PLX-Devices-Bluetooth-Diagnostic-Android/dp/B016X3L0O2

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had one and it was pretty nice, gave me a little piece of mind with accurate readings.
Then it died one day and never turned back on.
@kkirwan71 had one in his NBS/NNBS and something in the OBD2 cable would short out and cause all kinds of electrical gremlins to show up.

kkirwan71

women problems
Reaction score
As @bneilsen said. I had one on my 2000 Silverado nbs and something in it caused a short in my obd2 port causing the truck to randomly shut off and not want to restart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

phatphuck

plus sized grandpa
Reaction score
I had one and it was pretty nice, gave me a little piece of mind with accurate readings.
Then it died one day and never turned back on.
@kkirwan71 had one in his NBS/NNBS and something in the OBD2 cable would short out and cause all kinds of electrical gremlins to show up.

As @bneilsen said. I had one on my 2000 Silverado nbs and something in it caused a short in my obd2 port causing the truck to randomly shut off and not want to restart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

which are you two referring to? The scangauge/ultragauge? Or the bluetooth units df2x4 is talking about?

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
A little late to the party. I have used an ELM327 and Torque Pro for over 6 years and it has never not worked.

In all the Ford/GM products I have owned, including my current '99 Suburban, it always connects and tells me what the ECU is doing, reads/clears codes, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005NLQAHS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Above is the unit I use...not sure what changes there may have been over that time, but that one is still going for me!

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005NLQAHS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Above is the unit I use...not sure what changes there may have been over that time, but that one is still going for me!

FWIW, I bought one of those BAFX adapters and ended up returning it. It wouldn't connect to either of my '97s. Worked fine on other vehicles though. I've seen multiple other members here say the BAFX works fine for them but unfortunately that was not my experience.