scan tool advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You got a Solus for $350???? That'd be a good way to go.
Solus Pro, not the earlier Solus. $350 is a good but not fabulous price considering the 8.2 software. $900-ish should get a "fully-equipped" Solus Pro with the newest software, and a decent selection of adapters, keys, manuals, the battery charger, etc. I've seen many Solus Pros for sale on eBay, prices from under a hundred dollars (broken screen, no software or accessories, etc) to around a thousand dollars for the newer software. Like all "used" tools, you may/may not get all the factory-supplied accessories, European software drives the price up, OBD-II adapters aren't always included, YMMV.

No promises on the actual battery pack. Like all "rechargeable" batteries, the service life sucks. "My" battery seems to have some useful life left in it; which I wasn't expecting.

I'm told the battery pack can be carefully broken-open, and then the individual cells can be replaced. I have not done this on the Solus Pro, but I'm in the process of doing this with a stupid "rechargeable" massager that now works for about three minutes on a full charge.

I don't want to fix anything european ever again and anything new enough to not be supported by that unit probably wont be coming my way for quite a while.!!!
Exactly my thinking. Father-in-law has a 2012 Wimpala, but he's still going to the dealership for oil changes. I'm not going to see that car for repairs until he dies.

Keep in mind, at the end of this year Snappy isn't gonna support the Solus Ultra anymore. They may be getting affordable :biggrin:
The sequential production of the Solus family is: Solus, Solus Pro, Solus Ultra, Solus Edge, and the current model is Solus Legend.

Solus, and Solus Pro support is already ended. Snappy doesn't want anything to do with them, including selling you the "newest available" update, or providing repairs. I am not thrilled with this.

Solus Ultra support ends next, but is still available(for now) along with support for Edge and Legend. One by one, support will end.

Support for the MT/MTG2500 ended in '09. I bet they quit selling them ten years or more prior to ending support.

Im just waiting for them to stop supporting my solus edge.
First Guess: You have several years before Edge support ends; and they're still selling Legend, so that will be still more years before support vanishes.

But keep in contact with your Snap-On Guy.

And there's a web site forum for (select) Snappy diagnostic tools:

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
But keep in contact with your Snap-On Guy.
He takes my money with a smile on his face every week. Im sure he will be retired before support ends. He has been the dealer in my area since 88. He said if some one walks up to him with 3 mil the business is theirs.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have an Innova 5610. It shows you a lot of useful info, but does not show cmp retard for setting your distributor.

zinprogress

Reaction score
Oooffff! This thread is kind of dating me. The year i had to walk away from being an auto tech was the year my snap on guy was pushing the "new" solus edge on me which i believe was 2014. In my head, these were still the new big thing! :rotflmao:

Dravec

Unashamed 400 addict. Best. Trucks. Ever.
Reaction score
hey thanks for the reply! I really just need something that can do abs and wheel speed sensors and some other slightly more involved diagnostics. How does it do with stuff like that?
I haven't tried anything with wheel speed sensor a, but it can command idle speed changes, and worked well for abs bleed. There's several other features that it can do that I haven't played with.

Jesse_Wenting

Old Thread Reviver
Reaction score
Anyone know the listed name for the CMP offset PID in DashCommand. I have the extended GM PIDs but can't seem to find it. Or just a standalone scanner that can read it that's $400 or less

zinprogress

Reaction score
in case anyone cares, i got a 2015 updated solus pro with a ton of extra accessories, literature, keys and other things i havent even gone through yet locally for $350. I know its a dated scan tool, but it feels good to have something comprehensive again and it'll work great for anything ill be working on for at least a few years. Also i was pretty close on eyeballing the dizzy, 3 degrees on the cmp!