SAS Parts Checklist

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

highperf4x4

Original Male
Reaction score
Well I have Boggers right now, 35x14.5 but I have 4.56 gears so I'd like to go up to some 38s

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

highperf4x4

Original Male
Reaction score
That would be my first recommendation. What size tires are you planning on running?
Holy crap those axles are expensive! Cheapest I've found is 1100 plus freight on ebay. Dudes name is "chevyeater" so I already don't like him lol.

How much risk would I be taking to use this low pinion dana 44 that I already have? It has the right spring perches, flat top passenger knuckle, and it's an iron 3/4 ton axle. It has to be way stronger than my IFS was and I made quite a few races with the IFS in there. In fact, I didn't tear it up until I went playing down at the river. I'll be putting new Richmond 4.56 gears in it and a Yukon Grizzly locker. Will it stand up to 450hp well enough?

GMC Burbalade

Busy slacking
Reaction score
The 44 isn't a bad axle but if you're hard on it with 450hp I would not expect it to be a reliable long term solution.

highperf4x4

Original Male
Reaction score
Is it an axle shaft concern? Should I put chromoly in it? Or is it the pinion? This is the 3/4 ton axle so it has the 3" tubes. Housing itself should be strong enough.

GMC Burbalade

Busy slacking
Reaction score
There are ways to beef it up, but the axle is still only as strong as the weakest link. Axle shafts, U joints, ring and pinion teeth, pinion shaft...

You might be able to get away with it, but personally I'd be looking for something beefier.

highperf4x4

Original Male
Reaction score
Well the flip side is that the dana 60 is heavier with less ground clearance. That's the opposite of what i need for mud bog racing. Plus the 60s have gotten ridiculously expensive. I already have this dana 44. I'm going to give it some more thought and continue researching. I wish i could find someone else racing with this same axle to see what they've done it.

SwampHound

GMT400 Love Guru
Reaction score
If all goes well I should be picking up a Dana 44 this week. Not the exact axle I wanted but at this point Dana 60s aren't available. It's from a 72 blazer, fresh rebuild with 3.73s. Should be a fun project. Thanks for putting this thread together, really made the search easier as I always had a reference for the different axles and their strengths/weaknesses.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
If all goes well I should be picking up a Dana 44 this week. Not the exact axle I wanted but at this point Dana 60s aren't available. It's from a 72 blazer, fresh rebuild with 3.73s. Should be a fun project. Thanks for putting this thread together, really made the search easier as I always had a reference for the different axles and their strengths/weaknesses.
So what t case ru gona run?