SAS front driveshaft solutions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

williscr3

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
almost done with my SAS ended up having to rebuild the entire exhaust because my full length headers hit the rear leaf spring hanger. so once the exhaust is done it will be driveable but still need front drive shaft. are there any simple solutions to this? i used a 1979 ford dana 44 which i believe is a 1310 and i believe my transfercase is a 1350 u joint. kind of wondering if it could be as easy as swapping the output yoke on transfercase to a k5 flange style and use k5 cv style driveshaft too? my factory driveshaft would actually work but it binds once it spins to the one side. the ears on the shaft hit the flange at a certain angle. or do i just call a driveshaft place say i need 1310 on this end and 1350 on the other end and this length? im low lift should be around 5.5", supposedly brackets add 3" and i did k5 2.5" lift springs. also has anyone tried dropping the transmission crossmember an inch or so? seems to be pretty popular in the jeep world to help reduce angles with short driveshafts. thanks

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Transfer case n axle side should be a 3R series. But can get a hybrid 1310/3R ujoint.

williscr3

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah i seen the hybrid joints. still have the problem of it not wanting to flex all the way down at one angle. what does everyone else do? should i try to change it to flange style and get k5 shaft? not sure how many splines are on the np241 either. not sure what to do with this.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure what you mean by 'one angle'? I did an SAS year ago and used a stock driveshaft from a Ford since used a driver drop 205, even with 12" of lift it was fine.

williscr3

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
so you used the ford drive shaft from say an f250? with chevy factory transfercase? if i let the factory drive shaft droop it will hang below the axle but if i spin it so driveshaft side u joint ears are vertical it doesnt have enough clearance and makes the shaft not reach the axle anymore. the ears on the drive shaft are hitting the transfercase side of flange and makes the shaft bind.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used a Ford NP205 with a Ford HP60. IT's been over almost 20 years since I built it and been gone over 10. I think I actually used a GM driveshaft from a 70s truck. Take a pic of what you got going on, something ain't right...

geeeee89

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know some of the np241s had a front output flange but they were longer than the yoke so it might mess with the angle. I THINK people usually get custom driveshafts or maybe a stock front shaft from 73-87 trucks

high angle driveline and Tom woods are the 2 places I’ve seen most recommended for custom driveshafts

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
With that low a lift even the stock driveshaft will have more angle than that. I'd have to dig for pics but my 89 had 12" of lift and the front driveshaft was barely at angle. granted I haven't done 4wd stuff in awhile but can't figure out what's going on. If the flange on the t-case side is hitting the crossmember than you have the wrong shaft. If it didn't hit stock it ain't gonna now, not with the small lift...