Sanity check on parts order.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Comp112

Reaction score
Howdy, I am working on a 96 GMC Suburban SLE 2WD with the 5.7

Originally I was doing a head gasket job, and started replacing parts that were old, or broke during the work.

I had the heads machined, as well as the lower intake. Various issues aside over the weeks lead to me tearing out the new MPFI injector I had installed that was leaking. At this point I decided if I had it down that far again, I may as well put new rockers in, and bite the bullet on some other parts.

Through ******* up previous orders, and broken parts, I am losing my sanity on if I am ordering correct things. I wouldn't mind some help/sanity checking before I pull the trigger on anything else.

What I need to order currently, with part number/site/name of what I intend to order:

Fuel Injector (800-1513N from Autozone)
Rocker Set (778-8914 from Jegs)
Ignition Coil (110-140024ACC from Jegs)
Distributor (110-59132 from Jegs)
Push Rods (689-MPR-615 from Jegs, 16 of them)

I have already replaced the spark plugs, plug wire set, and all gaskets from the heads up. I need a new MAP sensor, and potentially valve covers since it seems my driver side one is bent.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not entirely sure that those rockers will clear the factory valve covers, so hopefully somebody else will chime in, such as @L31MaxExpress .

I'm not a huge fan of most aftermarket distributors given the questionable quality of cam position sensor, so that's your call. I would not, however, swap out the coil with anything but another factory coil unless you have a reason to do so. The factory unit is better quality than anything you're going to buy new.

Comp112

Reaction score
I thought those rockers came with polylocks, my sockets barely clear the factory style nuts.

OEM coil cost pretty much the same as the aftermarkets it seems, I'll note that down.

Interesting on the cam sensor, didn't even question the quality difference between OEM and aftermarket.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought those rockers came with polylocks, my sockets barely clear the factory style nuts.

OEM coil cost pretty much the same as the aftermarkets it seems, I'll note that down.

Interesting on the cam sensor, didn't even question the quality difference between OEM and aftermarket.

I looked at the kit again and it does appear to include them, so that should be a non-issue.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm not entirely sure that those rockers will clear the factory valve covers, so hopefully somebody else will chime in, such as @L31MaxExpress .

I'm not a huge fan of most aftermarket distributors given the questionable quality of cam position sensor, so that's your call. I would not, however, swap out the coil with anything but another factory coil unless you have a reason to do so. The factory unit is better quality than anything you're going to buy new.
Davis Unified Ignition is better than factory, IMO.

I have a Rockauto aluminum on my van and have for years. I reused the GM cam sensor.

No comment on those rockers, I ran these and they did fit under the stock covers. Ran them for a couple of years, no issues. I later removed them for 1.7s.

You must be registered for see images attach

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm running those Proforms on WCJr. They clear the Vortec valve covers, but not the TBIs, and I don't know if it's "all" Vortecs or just some. The PCV valve on earlier valve covers is wider, and hits the rockers.

They're not a high dollar rocker, and I wouldn't want to use them on anything much higher than stock spring pressure. I'm running LS2/LS6 beehives, which are about 10% stiffer than stock. All that said, if you're not running up to 6500 rpm, I'd go with a good set of stamped rockers. You'll see less than 5 hp, and they're not more reliable.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The stamped steel rockers suck. Good roller 1.6s are worth 10-15 hp, sometimes more if the cam is small to start with. About 5 hp comes from the lift, the rest from the friction reduction. Friction reduction can be observed with a torque wrench even as it is a fairly dramatic change.

Even using a grind comparable to the GM 300 hp 395 marine cam, Richard Holdener tested a 10 hp gain with torque gains across the whole rpm range adding 1.6 rockers on a baby 4.3 V8. A HT383 with an actual 395 cam spit out 20 hp more with 1.6 rollers.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media