Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

strikk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ORD rear shackle flip is torqued down. New bushings, sleeves, and greaseable bolts all around. I have a semi float 9.5” 14 bolt but I’m not sure if I’m going to use it. I’ve got my eye on a Duramax rear end

You must be registered for see images attach

strikk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’ve ordered up the passenger side sheet metal to repair the outer floor, rocker panel, 3rd door rocker, and cab corner.

I also placed a small order from ORD for some bushings, sleeves, and bolts for the driver side front leaf spring setup. I’ve misplaced them over the years and can’t for the life of me find them.

AirMdwn

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try to find a 2nd gen 14 bolt full float, they have a ribbed pumpkin. They bolt right on. Stronger than the 9.5 and not as bulky as the dmax rear ends. Plus plenty of gear options, lockers and conversion kits for them

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Get one out of a van. If you ever noticed the track width is narrower on 4wd's, lifted with some tires looks goofy. Van rears match the fronts width. Stay away from the 2000's and up, they have Dana's and discs but have the govlock, and not sure how they are. At least in a 14ff they are pretty strong, just can be unpredictable for for semi serious offroading. Just takes some practice knowing how they lock/unlock.

strikk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Try to find a 2nd gen 14 bolt full float, they have a ribbed pumpkin. They bolt right on. Stronger than the 9.5 and not as bulky as the dmax rear ends. Plus plenty of gear options, lockers and conversion kits for them
Funnily enough there is a craigslist post for this very thing local to me. ripped 14bolt full float, gt5 g80, factory disc breaks and ebreak hat. The poster has not returned my messages, i'll keep poking

Get one out of a van. If you ever noticed the track width is narrower on 4wd's, lifted with some tires looks goofy. Van rears match the fronts width. Stay away from the 2000's and up, they have Dana's and discs but have the govlock, and not sure how they are. At least in a 14ff they are pretty strong, just can be unpredictable for for semi serious offroading. Just takes some practice knowing how they lock/unlock.

Thank you for the tip, I will further educate myself on the track widths. According to the bible the van width is 70" versus 67.5". I'll keep going down that rabbit hole.
http://www.billavista.com/Tech/Articles/14-Bolt_Bible/index.html

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score

I don't think the vans got Dana axles until the redesign in 2002/3. It's some sort of D70, I believe..... should have nice rear discs. I suspect the spring pads wouldn't match, just like the GMT-800 truck axles don't.

I wonder if the vans got slide off drums, like my truck? I'd look for the JB8 RPO, if looking in a yard.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The vans got Dana 60s and 70s. The 3/4 ton got the semi float 60 and 1 tonner got the 70. Now this is just what I noticed, I'm sure there are differences. The van rear I have is from an 80 I believe and has slip on drums. 13" at that. Perches would need to be moved on any axle wanting to get swapped in so not a big deal.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
The vans got Dana 60s and 70s. The 3/4 ton got the semi float 60 and 1 tonner got the 70. Now this is just what I noticed, I'm sure there are differences. The van rear I have is from an 80 I believe and has slip on drums. 13" at that. Perches would need to be moved on any axle wanting to get swapped in so not a big deal.

1980? I'm referring to the 2000's GMT-800 based vans you mentioned before.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
got confused lol. Yes the newer ones got the dana's, but not 100% when. I wanna say the mid 2000's, but haven't been to a junkyard in months.

strikk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am shooting for a early 2000's 14bolt that had oem disc brakes and parking break using the same 8x6.5 lug pattern thats on the '97 ball joint dana 60 front that I have. I've been following up on ad's on craigslist but due to the current world events people are not willing to meet at this time.

I'll keep on the lookout..

In other news...it't not a truck unless it has a receiver, amirite?! I figured cleanup the hitch and bolt it on to help with pushing/pulling this thing around in the future.