Saab 9-5?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matttahoe53

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm thinking about buying a new car and I'm looking to maybe get another Saab. I know that parts are expensive and not easy to come by but I had one before and I sold it. The car I had before was a 9-3 and I sold it with 375,000 miles on it which I bought it with only 40000. The car was super reliable and ran like a top as long as I do basic maintenance to it. So I'm looking at either getting a viggen or a 9-5 areo 2005 or older. Does anyone here have experience with the 9-5 and know the usual pitfalls to look for? I feel like the biggest thing with these cars is to make sure it has a good ownership history and if it does you don't have to worry as much.

BoxerPitMix

Chris
Reaction score
I really like the 9-5's, and the Viggens are fun cars. The downfall to a Viggen is that you're going to have a hard time finding one that hasn't been beaten on unless you really do some searching and are willing to dish out some $$...
If I were to look for a DD Saab on the cheaper side, I'd look for an SE "HOT" model. Been a while since I read up on this stuff so I had to do some googling... Looks like the standard 9-5 SE was 185hp and the "HOT" was 200hp, and you can easily tune those to match and outperform a Viggen (225hp IIRC?). And being an SE model, I bet you could find a clean low mileage one that some old lady had lol

Here is a good read:
http://www.saabscene.com/forum/threads/85173-9-5-buyers-guide

matttahoe53

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the read. The viggen models being ragged out is a huge issue which is why I am leaning towards a wagon.