Rusted out 92 k1500 rcsb. Need Advice.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

92chevySB

Reaction score
Hello everyone. This truck has been sitting outside for about 8 years now. The last time it ran the engine was good and the transmission was recently rebuilt. As you can see there is extensive rust. I'm sure I can find a new bed and new doors but my concern is the chassis and the fact it has just been sitting outside of 8 years. My question is do you think this truck is too far gone or can it be restored and if it can would it even be worth it. Thanks!

You must be registered for see images attach

Zerio29

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
That would be a serious project. If it were mine, I would be trying to salvage the engine and trans and maybe find a donor truck to swap them into. This one looks pretty rough. It looks like you would need to replace almost every moving part - shocks, ball joints, tie rod ends, pitman/idler arms, shocks, rotors, calipers, shoes and maybe even drums. The U-Joints are probably on their way out, CV Joints, Etc. You'd Be replacing all the seals On top of that I wouldn't even trust it to move without replacing all the brake lines and possibly the M/C. That being said, the RCSB trucks are getting harder to find and it would be fun to strip it right down, give the frame a good solid coat of POR15... well maybe not fun, but potentially satisfying.

But overall I would hesitate to try restore that. It looks like everything you touch will just break. More of a money pit than a project. My advice would be to find a blown up truck in decent shape and Frankenstein them if you're looking for a project.

Suburban1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check the common areas where rot begins (where frame goes from box to c channel etc etc), and see how bad it is. Most frames if they are not too far gone just need a good sand blasting job followed by primer and paint. If i were you i'd remove the cab too, get the whole frame sand blasted. And then replace EVERYTHING underneath. It's a project for sure, but personally if it's not rotted out, i'd go for it. If you have the patience, time and money.

92chevySB

Reaction score
That would be a serious project. If it were mine, I would be trying to salvage the engine and trans and maybe find a donor truck to swap them into. This one looks pretty rough. It looks like you would need to replace almost every moving part - shocks, ball joints, tie rod ends, pitman/idler arms, shocks, rotors, calipers, shoes and maybe even drums. The U-Joints are probably on their way out, CV Joints, Etc. You'd Be replacing all the seals On top of that I wouldn't even trust it to move without replacing all the brake lines and possibly the M/C. That being said, the RCSB trucks are getting harder to find and it would be fun to strip it right down, give the frame a good solid coat of POR15... well maybe not fun, but potentially satisfying.

But overall I would hesitate to try restore that. It looks like everything you touch will just break. More of a money pit than a project. My advice would be to find a blown up truck in decent shape and Frankenstein them if you're looking for a project.

Thanks, you've given me some things to consider.

92chevySB

Reaction score
Check the common areas where rot begins (where frame goes from box to c channel etc etc), and see how bad it is. Most frames if they are not too far gone just need a good sand blasting job followed by primer and paint. If i were you i'd remove the cab too, get the whole frame sand blasted. And then replace EVERYTHING underneath. It's a project for sure, but personally if it's not rotted out, i'd go for it. If you have the patience, time and money.

Yeah I will have to take a closer look at the frame. I've really got an itch to fix it up but I wanted to get some other opinions first.

RCSB_jonny

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Poke around under there with a screwdriver, you'll find out real quick if it's bad. If it's solid, go for it. I'm partway through doing exactly that with mine, including finding almost all new sheet metal.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Get a chipping hammer used for welding and whack every part you are thinking might make or break the idea.
Holes in the frame or structure pretty much tells the story. They tend to rot from the inside out.
Dont worry about the bed, doors, fenders. They are shot.
See if the cab is salvagable.
Wear safety glasses and a face shield when you do it.
Even a speck of rust in your eye can screw you up bad.
I assume you are somewhere plains or eastern Canada based on the rust.
Take a look at some west Canada trucks and see if you can find one in better shape but blown up.
It might be cheaper to take the 6 days needed to drive across Canada instead of fixing that one.
Even if the frame can be saved.
As mentioned by others, you need to replace the brake lines and master cylinder and booster and fuel lines and the fuel tank.
Just to be even somewhat safe.
Okay, so much for the official disclaimer.
Chip hammer the frame to make sure it wont snap in half. Be very sure of this.
See if you can get it to start and run off of a boat tank.
Do not no matter how tempting do not try to pull fuel out of the factory tank.
Hook up a mechanical oil pressure gauge. dont trust the dash gauge, they are crap.
Dont trust the dash temp gauge either.
get a cheap ass infrared or "laser" thermometer.
Keep an eye on the head temps hose temps manifold temps exhaust temps individual cylinder temps etc...
A lot people try to fire old crusty engines with plain water in the radiator and get all shocked and surprised when the water pump fails and the rad blows and they pop a head gasket.
They will smoke a thousand dollars of repairs to save 15 bucks on anti-freeze.
Spend the 15 bucks. It may blow and make a mess, but it also changes the boiling point of water and lubricates the system.
Steam is the cause of these problems
Normally I would pull the thermostat but it is really common for the t stat housing bolts to shear off so I only try this when the thermostat is obviously not opening.
And I beat the snot out the housing first with a deadblow hammer.
Then, if all that works out?
Check thd trans fluid and see if it will drive.
If you can get it to run and idle without overheating and knocking and all the other engine death noises?
Thats an 800 dollar engine up here.
at least.
If it isnt going to kill you.
I would fire that ***** up and see if it moves and see if it drives and runs..
Light that ****** up and drive it out of its grave brother.
You can do it!

Jermu

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sheet metal's fixable and the frame don't look too bad, test it out with a pick, if it goes through, donor truck, if not, sand and paint. Rebuild suspension and you's good to go, I say if it's saveable, do it, these trucks are getting more scarce by the day!

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I agree with the pick/hammer the frame. Some stuff doesn't look too bad until you knock the scale off.