Rust. Rust. Rust and broken springs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's springs, shackles, and u-bolts. OP also asked about hangers, which are not pictured. I'd imagine if his hangers are rusted through and need replacing, the shackle brackets probably do, too.

Also I'd caution you against using a picture or an ad like that to determine compatibility. Leaf springs are totally incompatible between pickups, Suburbans, and the shorter SUV's. They are 3 different lengths and do not swap. They are just advertising that they sell the items, not that everything you see there in that one picture fits all models.

Richard

Problmch1ld

Reaction score
That's springs, shackles, and u-bolts. OP also asked about hangers, which are not pictured. I'd imagine if his hangers are rusted through and need replacing, the shackle brackets probably do, too.

Also I'd caution you against using a picture or an ad like that to determine compatibility. Leaf springs are totally incompatible between pickups, Suburbans, and the shorter SUV's. They are 3 different lengths and do not swap. They are just advertising that they sell the items, not that everything you see there in that one picture fits all models.

Richard
So any ideas on hangers?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Springs are different between SUVs and trucks. I think they're 54" vs 62" if memory serves correct. They are most certainly NOT the same, so do not buy truck springs. Rockauto, AutoZone, or anyone else should be able to get you shackles. I think Dorman makes hangers too.

Problmch1ld

Reaction score
Springs are different between SUVs and trucks. I think they're 54" vs 62" if memory serves correct. They are most certainly NOT the same, so do not buy truck springs. Rockauto, AutoZone, or anyone else should be able to get you shackles. I think Dorman makes hangers too.
Are all hangers compatible from 88-98 regardless of truck, van, or suv, or is that currently unknown.
I've found hangers, shackles, springs, full blown swap kits, all of it, but not that say they fit a 4dr 4wd tahoe.
Gmt400s share alot of parts, and I would "assume" it's all the same, but I cannot get a definite yes. Yet.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are all hangers compatible from 88-98 regardless of truck, van, or suv, or is that currently unknown.
I've found hangers, shackles, springs, full blown swap kits, all of it, but not that say they fit a 4dr 4wd tahoe.
Gmt400s share alot of parts, and I would "assume" it's all the same, but I cannot get a definite yes. Yet.
Call ATS springs. Very knowledgeable and friendly. They’ll have your answer. I dug around and couldn’t find any for 4 dr either.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
^^^ I don't have the answer on the hangers and shackle brackets (as I said before shackles are pretty universal) but the suggestion to call the seller would be wise.

I do know there are different hangers for drop applications depending on which particular 400 body style you have, but that may be different strictly for drops, so I don't want to muddy the water with that - only to recommend caution that you are certain the people selling you parts know what you've got and not go off an assumption they are all the same.

Richard

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pickup and SUV hangers are indeed different. My Yukon needed a set and I installed pickup rear hangers. They were 2" longer, which gave me a little lift. And I appreciated it due to earlier cranking of my torsion bars to carry my plow.

O.P. if you need one, replace both. It's likely that the other is just as rusty.

Kens1990K2500

One Piece At A Time
Reaction score
Yikes guess I'm thankful to be in Houston. If I were you I hit the local junk yard for that part. I'm sure you can buy them new but I've personally never had to replace mine. Otherwise have you checked rock auto/ lmc truck?
Local junk yard? Those might be in nearly as bad a shape as the ones on his truck.