Rust prevention

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The 3M stuff never came up in any of my searches. BUT... I really suck at searching the interweb. The ACF 50 sounds like it is pretty much an aviation thing where the Corrosion X has some military specs to it with a broader reach than the ACF 50. That sounded good to me not that necessarily means anything!

Time will tell if I wasted time and money. Can't hurt though!

used extensively in collision repair . I used 3 cans today and 1/2 gal of Woolwax for exposed areas. Unlike oil, these products wick, stay on vertical surfaces and self heal

Ken, I have no idea how I messed up and made this look like your post.

Bondovw

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eastwood has a inner panel spray can coating with a long hose on it . I use it to prime the back side of welds I can't get to when doing rocker repairs. It seems to work really well.

Cadillac Bob

Slammin original 4x4 Cadillac doors!
Reaction score
KEY TO RUST LEAST AMOUNT OF ROAD SALT!! I live in Michigan and guess what underneath the state’s biggest city? Salt all under Detroit is salt mines!!! So they over salt the roads here!!! But washing as much as much as possible is best for any vehicle there’s plenty of newer gm/ford/dodge truck n SUV’s rusting for that issue! Even at minimum once a week go spray it off is better than nothing! and everything else will last longer too! So adding chemicals isn’t the end all be all to prevent rust WASHING is I have 265k and I’m 2-4 owner. But I get to having do that to stop what’s already happening but washing is it in wintertime oh don’t waste your money on super washes get cheap washes unless you can’t get to undercarriage good but it’s not that much washing unless you do it as a tip from working at car wash and learning the trickery’s of that trade lol

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I'm not so sure washing salt off is going to do much. You're re-wetting it, and wet salt is going to be a lot worse than dry salt. Keeping a vehicle dry here, in the winter is just about impossible, unless the temps are very low. I think this year, I'm going to try to find/buy a dedicated "winter beater".

Cadillac Bob

Slammin original 4x4 Cadillac doors!
Reaction score
Yes undercarriage wash isn’t what you think it is! And all that extra super upgrade washes are just designed to get more money from your pocket! Yes more “suds/foam” comes out but your really not getting that much better of a wash besides here it is for 454cid that your paying more for those “guys” up front to “wash/spray” off your vehicle more water is the biggest expense! So I understand what your stating but your wrong salt isn’t put on the roads to dry them it’s to melt the ice so melted ice equals water worst case more snow! So I live in Michigan why don’t you come on over an check how wonderful our roads are! Yeah not at all nice bombed out so like I said wash your ride at least once a week especially if it’s a daily driver !!!! An I used to live next to 3-4 car washes within a 2-3 mile or less radius now I have only 1 that’s a drive-thru couple do it yourselfs but you really want to save your money/investment on your vehicle wash it please just like anything else you happen to own if you really care you’ll do what’s needed to take care of it!!!!!

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
...So I understand what your stating but your wrong salt isn’t put on the roads to dry them it’s to melt the ice so melted ice equals water worst case more snow!

Yes, I know how road salt is used. My point was that re-wetting dried salt, could be worse than leaving it be, if you don't manage to get all of it off. Plus, you'll pickup more salt on the way home, on a wet undercarriage. It's nice to get the vehicles washed in the winter, but I'm not convinced it's doing much for rust prevention.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
check out Blasters Surface shield. Lots of videos of guys using that VS fluid Film and all think its better. I usually use fluid film as I can get 5 gallon buckets for nothing.

Surface Shield sprays A LOT better, that's for sure. It's more expensive, Though, and Fluid Film is already expensive.