Rust in thermostat housing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeremyNH

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I bought a 3 gallon container of Evaporust and used an ordinary Coleman cooler as the bath. Manifold fit perfect and with 3 gallons was just enough to fully submerge it (the EGR port rose above the liquid level but that part looks stainless to my eyes and was smooth and bright regardless). I used a 5W nightlight attached to an extension cord to put it inside the cooler and closed the lid for a little heat. Lesson learned is that Evaporust works on steel much faster than it does on cast iron. The steel parts I put in with the manifold (mostly the misc brackets that cam with my manifold) were clean within hours but the cast iron took days. Afterward I washed it with water (per the instructions) then baked it in the wife's oven for an hour at 250F to dry it. Worked like a charm. FYI.

deven bullis

Employed by the big blue hexagon
Reaction score
Pulled it out of the remover about 4pm yesterday, washed it out with some soap and water and air dried it for about an hour, It cleaned up well but I do plan on sandblasting the inside
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ken K

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just recently picked up a marine intake and just got around to messing with it when I started to notice the thermostat housing is badly rusted, I’m hoping it’s salvageable but it looks like it’s too far gone to to anything, opinions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just soak it in a 5 gallon bucket filled with “Muratic Acid” sold a home improvement stores for $7-12 per gallon. As a device manager at a boat dealer and service center for boats to 34’ twin engine, this is salt water damage, not river or lake water. Muratic acid is the same cleaner used on out-drives. Save money if this is what you have and want to use. If carb, use the electric choke off relay, trigger by the alternators “F” terminal. It’s only hot when the alternator is working. ASE Master Tech- Retired

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'd try to chip away at that with a hammer and screwdriver. I bet you knock some big chunks off.