Rust in thermostat housing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I got mine for $600 which was a smokin deal at the time. You knocked it out of the park!
Now y'all have me intrigued about these manifolds. When were they used and what injectors do they use? And does the motor require a tune to run one?
And what is the proper way to look it up online? Ebay is not showing anything that looks like these pictures. This looks like the trick setup on a vortec if it could be found.....thanks!

Last edited:

deven bullis

Employed by the big blue hexagon
Reaction score
Now y'all have me intrigued about these manifolds. When were they used and what injectors do they use? And does the motor require a tune to run one?
And what is the proper way to look it up online? Ebay is not showing anything that looks like these pictures. This looks like the trick setup on a vortec if it could be found.....thanks!

The intakes were used on some GM boat engines, that’s all I know about that. The previous owner used Bosch 0280155700 injectors that were included.I’ve seen a few people run these intakes without a tune, but I just bought an 0411 today to prepare for my build this summer. The listing for this intake was “L31 SBC Marine intake” so something near that should work, but I’ve also never seen one for sale on eBay/Craigslist/fb marketplace
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The marine intake fits in place of the stock one, gets rid of the restrictive spider, flows more above 3000, and the stock TB and all plays ball. You have to shore up the wiring with the injectors, MAP/IAT is different, coil bolting down is different, fuel line hookup is different, really a bunch of piddly crap. What you will find is that your tip in fueling will be off. That is the big one when tuning the marine intake.

mattillac

Lurker
Reaction score
1 gallon of evapo-rust isn’t enough, but it’s enough to cover the thermostat housing, gonna get some more tomorrow to cover some threads higher up on the intake

FWIW, I have seen where folks set up a temporary evaporust shower, for when parts are too large to dip.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Farm and fleet around here has 3.5 gallon containers of the stuff with a dip basket, for about 47 bucks.

I have run it trough a small water pump before without issue, using aluminum window screen as a prefilter to keep debris away from the pump.

Food for thought, best of luck.

Chris979

Reaction score
I just recently picked up a marine intake and just got around to messing with it when I started to notice the thermostat housing is badly rusted, I’m hoping it’s salvageable but it looks like it’s too far gone to to anything, opinions?

When I have cars come in to the shop with horribly rusted and corroded cooling systems I use CLR. It doesn't hurt anything and will work great in your situation.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I was wondering about clr. I have very limited experience using it. SOOOOOOOOOO would this intake be "the" intake used on all gm 5.7 marine engines? my landlord has a boat grave yard. I could probably find one.

you guys have me intrigued.

taker easy!

Not all, there was a year range for them. But yeah, go hunting they're worth a few bucks.