Rust belt people

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnckhall

GO DAWGS!!!
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Thankfully I don't have to deal with all that in Coastal GA (Brunswick, GA). I loathe cold weather :eek:. If it's below 70, I'm wearing a jacket. Today is a very nice 82*.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Thankfully I don't have to deal with all that in Coastal GA (Brunswick, GA). I loathe cold weather :eek:. If it's below 70, I'm wearing a jacket. Today is a very nice 82*.
Same… it was 45 this morning (I was mad) but it’s warming up already. We MIGHT get an entire week of freezing weather in a year.

Rocket Surgeon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bar and chain oil, paraffin wax, and a solvent mixed.

Basically a non-detergent oil, a wax solid, and an evaporable carrier. I've used old gas if the vehicle has no power, leaving windows down 1/2 inch, or kerosene.

Heat in old crock pot clear of flammable stuff, structures, etc..
Spray it with a $10 wanded garden sprayer.

Last edited:

Intragration

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wanted to throw in my two cents on Fluid Film. I've tried everything over the years, I always thought I could "win" against rust. The problem is, it's hard to clean up the undercarriage, and even if you do and manage to put some kind of barrier undercoating on like a Ziebart-type waxy material, this stuff doesn't stick well if it isn't put on when the vehicle is new. It also deteriorates and can trap the very things you're trying to avoid, moisture and salt.

I've also tried washing the undercarriage on a regular basis when there's salt on the road. This may help to an extent, but for me, it pretty much resulted in a really clean, rusty vehicle.

Fluid Film isn't perfect, but I think it's the best all-around solution. It's not permanent, but you can always add more, and it doesn't really require any sort of prepping short of removing crust and dirt. It's a little messy to apply, but you can either spray or brush it on, so you can select your method depending on the situation. It has a tendency to flow, and if you give a generous coating, it will work its way in to areas you can't otherwise reach. They have a spray nozzle attachment for the rattle cans that allows you to get into hard-to-reach areas like frame rails and door bottoms. When applied to visible rust, the rust turns near-black, and the Fluid Film creates a barrier layer that drives out moisture.

Until I get to the point where I can effectively prep and paint every single surface of frame, body, fasteners, and accessories under the vehicle, I've found the scatter-gun Fluid Film approach to be the best alternative.

XDmToter

Reaction score
I realize this thread is a few months old, but as a lifetime member of the rust belt gang, I wanted to share this video I stumbled upon. Some really good info here.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media