Rust belt people

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pressureangle

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
as a guy from texas I was wondering what y’all use for rust prevention on your daily drivers… my little brother is in North Carolina and just bought a new Tacoma. I know undercoating is a thing but that’s about as far as my knowledge goes. Thank you and I’m sorry that you have to live in the cold :biggrin:
Thinned and sprayed, or a case of aerosol-

PM18S4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Suburban spent 20 years in South Dakota. I swear damn near every bolt on the underside is seized or was before I started doing underbody work on it after moving to the south.
Thankfully, other than a bit of body rot near the exhaust, the rust is only surface deep and the frame is still structurally sound.
Every nut and bolt that I have touched under there has needed to be replaced; and I did it right with class 12.9 hardware when available, chromated coated cadmium plated if possible, but more often chromate coated zinc plate. None of that black phosphate. Fastenal and McMaster must love me.

If I every get around to a project car, I'm going to strip everything to the frame.
Every part will get stripped/sanded to raw metal, cadmium plated, chromate coated, then painted with rust preventer.
The thing would be an environmental nightmare, but it would be able to survive the worst that even PA DoT could throw at it.

JDGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do envy the Southern and Western truck/car builders. I'm guessing that you can focus most of your time on the mechanical, upgrades, and moderate prep for the final paint job. Here in the northeast, we start with the frame and body. Sand Blast it, replace it, weld it, and coat it. By far the most time-consuming phase of the project. Depending on your budget there are some good products out there to protect the frame and body. I use an Epoxy based coating on the panels and frame and a rubberized finish on top of that for the underbody and frame. The winters can be long and cold here so being stuck indoors has a purpose if you have a decent garage and 4-legged companions to keep you company.

Attachments

• Garage Snow Fall.JPG
    Garage Snow Fall.JPG
    288.9 KB · Views: 10