RPO Codes - Reverse Engineer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The free one I sent also gave 42 rpo codes. I was asking what the difference was between that and compine.com? I’ve compared the 2 for my truck and they are identical. It’s funny they both did say your truck was yellow.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Big difference was the compine listed my diff ratio (4.10)
There’s no difference. And that’s my point, as far as I’ve ever seen. Yes, the ones you found, a clear difference. But the site I sent you is the same. I’ve got no skin in the game. I just hear all the time compine is the only site that’s accurate, but every time they look the same to me.
You must be registered for see images attach

This is from link I sent you^^^
Edit: I did find 2 differences.
XHP- Unknown
Q1E- Fleet Program Activity
So, no useful info there.

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I had a few look-ups left on my compnine.com account.

Here is what I found for your VIN: (you should be able to go to the link below)

Also .pdf attached of the output.

Hope it helps.
-M

@heskahoka @1ton-o-fun Is this what all the CompNine reports look like nowadays? I haven't run one in years, but I remember them having much more information than this. For example, in the RPO breakdown they used to show how many vehicles were produced that year with each specific option, which gave you a decent idea of how rare each RPO was for said vehicle. When I ran my '97s both of them came back with that info, glad I printed them out and saved them.

@Caman96 That's basically what I was referring to when I said CompNine was more complete/accurate than the free decoders, but now I'm not so sure.

EDIT - I've also seen some of the free decoders use incorrect RPO descriptions recycled from previous GM designations, where as CompNine generally will get the RPO description correct for each specific vehicle. (Example, G80 being referred to as "Posi" or "Limited Slip" instead of "Locker.")

Last edited:

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@heskahoka @1ton-o-fun Is this what all the CompNine reports look like nowadays? I haven't run one in years, but I remember them having much more information than this. For example, in the RPO breakdown they used to show how many vehicles were produced that year with each specific option, which gave you a decent idea of how rare each RPO was for said vehicle. When I ran my '97s both of them came back with that info, glad I printed them out and saved them.

@Caman96 That's basically what I was referring to when I said CompNine was more complete/accurate than the free decoders, but now I'm not so sure.

EDIT - I've also seen some of the free decoders use incorrect RPO descriptions recycled from previous GM designations, where as CompNine generally will get the RPO description correct for each specific vehicle. (Example, G80 being referred to as "Posi" or "Limited Slip" instead of "Locker.")
Yeah, either way OP got info, and that was good. I still say the site I sent him with breakdown is accurate. It’s nice to look at both as it’s just more confirmation.

heskahoka

Reaction score
Is this what all the CompNine reports look like nowadays? I haven't run one in years, but I remember them having much more information than this. For example, in the RPO breakdown they used to show how many vehicles were produced that year with each specific option, which gave you a decent idea of how rare each RPO was for said vehicle. When I ran my '97s both of them came back with that info, glad I printed them out and saved them.

I bought the $5 entry at Compnine.com (gave me 5 vehicles to run) last summer. I did this to get the codes for my 97. Much like you @df2x4, it came back with more robust info with 60 codes of RPOs, their descriptions, and how many vehicles had those options that year.

Not sure why @BuiltToWork 's truck came back so basic? Maybe because of the earlier year or that it was a fleet vehicle? For this particular example @Caman96 is correct and the free VIN lookup worked as well as CompNine.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought the $5 entry at Compnine.com (gave me 5 vehicles to run) last summer. I did this to get the codes for my 97. Much like you @df2x4, it came back with more robust info with 60 codes of RPOs, their descriptions, and how many vehicles had those options that year.

Not sure why @BuiltToWork 's truck came back so basic? Maybe because of the earlier year or that it was a fleet vehicle? For this particular example @Caman96 is correct and the free VIN lookup worked as well as CompNine.
I was actually surprised there was this much information for a 1990. Sometimes for these years it’s very limited.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I was actually surprised there was this much information for a 1990. Sometimes for these years it’s very limited.

I tried the free site, on an auction truck (also a 90) and it didn't give me much.... no RPO codes at all.