Rough suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ok I really hope someone can give me an answer here ? I have a 1998 k1500 I got the truck from my grandad so it’s bone stock it had 265/75/16 all terrains on it and the stock sawblade wheels well I just recently upgraded my wheels and tires I bought from a guy it’s the 01 z71 wheels on 305/70/16 nitto mud grapps my truck rode very smooth down the road l before well ever since I have put those wheels and tires on I can feel ever little bump and crack in the road why is this?? The torsion keys have not been messed with there at the factory settings

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The new tires are about two inches wider than the old ones, that's not helping.

If the new wheels are heavier than the stock wheels that's going to matter as well.

I ran some big heavy 20" wheels and crazy wide tires on my Suburban for a few years. It sucked, really bad. Would eat front end parts, rattle your teeth out, and was awful in the snow. I went back to stock size BFG KO2s on the factory wheels and have been much happier.

Burdom13

Reaction score
Reason is the unsprung weight of the larger tires and heavier wheels. Best bet would be to get a new set of shocks or let a little PSI out and check how much of a difference it makes. Don't go too low and make a dangerous situation tho. But the wider tire just makes more surface area to smack the bumps and cracks in the road and give more feedback through the chassis.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A 305/70/16 is a 33x12.5, bigger all around over the stock size. Mud graps are an aggressive tire, which doesn't help any. What are pressure is the tires at? Try that, but don't go too much, already too big a tire on not big enough wheel. .

Reaction score
Reason is the unsprung weight of the larger tires and heavier wheels. Best bet would be to get a new set of shocks or let a little PSI out and check how much of a difference it makes. Don't go too low and make a dangerous situation tho. But the wider tire just makes more surface area to smack the bumps and cracks in the road and give more feedback through the chassis.
Thanks I appreciate it will try when I get home

Reaction score
A 305/70/16 is a 33x12.5, bigger all around over the stock size. Mud graps are an aggressive tire, which doesn't help any. What are pressure is the tires at? Try that, but don't go too much, already too big a tire on not big enough wheel. .
I got them at 65 psi

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The new tires are slightly lower profile, too.

No they're not.
265 75 are 31.5" tall. Apples.
305 70 are 32.8" tall. Oranges
The 305's are 1.3" taller, 0.67" in extra sidewalls above and below the wheel.

265 70 is a lower profile when compared to a 265 75. Once you change section width, the aspect ratio resets to the new width.
Can't compare apples to oranges.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got them at 65 psi
Yeah, that'll do it.

What max pressure are the tires and wheels rated for? I have a buddy that likes to put one-ton springs under half-ton trucks, with bigass tires jacked up to as much pressure as the sidewall says. (85 psi, I think.)

Can't convince him that cheap aftermarket wheels may not take that much pressure and be happy about it.

And all that on the piece-of-crap 8.5 ring-gear axle that I took off my truck because it was getting sloppy from wear. (His original axle exploded the differential case. Duh.)