Rough Idle Miss-tery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Biggun

Reaction score
Howdy, folks.

My newly-acquired '98 Chevy 350 (which is off up in in a Chevy K3500) has a miss; rough idle, vibration, no power. The truck does not surge, stutter, or stumble, it just has a consistent miss. But she starts right up as soon as you bump the key.

• All cylinders are getting spark.
  • New cap, rotor, wires, iridium plugs -- all AC Delco
  • The old plugs looked OK, except for one which was pretty carbon-fouled (#3 or #5 cylinder...I had them sorted by cylinder and then of course I knocked them all on the ground...)
  • I haven't checked cylinder compression, but there's no oil in the water, no water in the oil, no antifreeze vapor out of the tailpipe so I don't think its a head gasket.
  • OBD isn't throwing a code.
I'm not at all familiar with the type of injection system in these trucks, but I suspect that as the culprit. The truck sat for a long time; could one of the poppets be stuck? I put a can of SeaFoam in the tank hoping maybe that'd knock something loose.
Any ideas or suggestions?
I was reading about the MFI upgrade--which I'm planning to do--but hopefully not this weekend.

Thanks

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Consider a power-balance test. Connect a tach, or a vacuum gauge to manifold vacuum. Short out the spark to each cylinder in turn. Each cylinder "should" drop the rpm or the vacuum the same amount. When you short a cylinder and the vacuum and/or RPM doesn't drop much, that cylinder is weak. If vacuum/rpm don't drop at all when a cylinder is shorted, that cylinder is dead.

When you know which cylinder(s) are the problem children, you'll have a better idea what to look for.

Biggun

Reaction score
OK, I pulled the plugs when I got home and all of them looked good except for #5 (two shots of the same plug):
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

I checked the compression in that cylinder, and it pumped up to 150lbs.
I smelled of the plug, and it didn't really have a super-strong gasoline scent, however, the crankcase dipstick is oddly showing more "oil" than it did the other day...:uhoh2:
I'm leaning toward an injector stuck open.
Any suggestions or alternate diagnoses?

honkon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Use OBDii dongle and app to check fuel trims. That will point you in the right direction.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Plug out. Jump the fuel pump so it runs. Give it a minute or so. If the injector is stuck open, when you crank the engine, fuel should gush out the plug hole. Might wanna have a fire extinguisher or three handy.

Mind you, I'd slap the upgraded spider in there on general principles; especially if it hasn't been replaced previously.

I have no faith in Seafoam as a cleaning agent. You want results, you buy Techron Complete , or you pay a pro to do it with "real" tools.

Last edited:

Biggun

Reaction score
UPDATE: Problem solved.

Turns out the intake manifold was leaking, and one cylinder was sucking oil from the PCV passage and fouling the plug.

I also went ahead and upgraded to the injection spider -- BIG difference and well worth the cost and effort. $250 from Motor Man Fuel Injection

Thanks for the help, fellas!