Rough idle and down on power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OBS_Build

Reaction score
So my 5.7 Vortec is at about 180k miles and lately its been kind of idling rough and felt down on power. I got the check engine light scanned and the guy at the parts store said it could be the intake manifold gasket, from what I've seen they are notorious for going bad. Do any of you have any ideas? All help is appreciated.

You must be registered for see images attach

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you got the codes read, not an actual data-stream scan.

What were the results, that he thinks the intake gaskets are bad? Yes, they were a problem; but the gaskets were upgraded and I bet there's not many originals left in service.

What is the fuel pressure when the engine is running rough? Have the spider injectors ever been replaced?

When was the last time the distributor was removed, inspected (including the distributor and cam gears) and a fresh cap, rotor, plug wires, plugs were installed?

How long has it been since the cranking compression of all eight was checked?

You need the data stream looked at.

OBS_Build

Reaction score
Sounds like you got the codes read, not an actual data-stream scan.

What were the results, that he thinks the intake gaskets are bad? Yes, they were a problem; but the gaskets were upgraded and I bet there's not many originals left in service.

What is the fuel pressure when the engine is running rough? Have the spider injectors ever been replaced?

When was the last time the distributor was removed, inspected (including the distributor and cam gears) and a fresh cap, rotor, plug wires, plugs were installed?

How long has it been since the cranking compression of all eight was checked?

You need the data stream looked at.

It has a new distributor cap and rotor along with plugs and wires. Other than that I havent done anything else you mentioned

L29Sub

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What codes where set, if any? Did CEL come on?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk