Rough Country 4"/6" kit install tips.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drewskie1992

Reaction score
Welp I have no idea what I was doing wrong, went back out and in 5 minutes i got one side in I've done cv's before and never had a problem! I guess the moon and the stars weren't aligned right earlier.

Sometimes you need to just walk away lol

Drewskie1992

Reaction score
I am working on installing the 4" lift on my 88 K1500, I am getting the lower c-arm drop brackets in place, however I am noticing that after grinding the bump stop off, the drop bracket will not sit flush with the frame, looks like I need to grind down a portion of the shock mount, wondering if any of you guys had to do this for your drop brackets, I've included a photo to show what I am referring to, thank you!

You must be registered for see images attach

It looks like it’s right. Did you end up figuring it out? From what I saw on the instructions looks like it has to be ground down

Z71Hobbs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am working on installing the 4" lift on my 88 K1500, I am getting the lower c-arm drop brackets in place, however I am noticing that after grinding the bump stop off, the drop bracket will not sit flush with the frame, looks like I need to grind down a portion of the shock mount, wondering if any of you guys had to do this for your drop brackets, I've included a photo to show what I am referring to, thank you!

I had to do a notch in the old mount to get mine to sit down flush the way it was supposed to go. Shouldn’t have to touch the shock mount unless it has some horrible protruding welds.

Also..be sure to remove the knockouts from the upper control arm mounts..gives you the flexibility to align correctly.

Mr_white_obs

Reaction score

The shock mount does NOT need to be ground down. The C-Arm bracket does not sit flush with the frame, abut there are crush washers to be installed on either end that make up for the gap. See step 45 of Rough Country's Instructions.

Aaron H

Reaction score
im running into the same problem. how much of a gap is acceptable tho? it says 2 washers but theres till more of a gap then 2 washers. how much is to grind? just the edge and bottom? dont have to do all of it right?

Brantly

Reaction score
I'm currently installing the 6 inch on my 98K 1500 and I have the front dif bolted up to the drop brackets and the fins are ground down so that it's not hitting the stock lower control arm bracket, but for some reason the driver side of the dif is about half an inch higher and from the front the whole fromt axle is uneven. Also where are the CV axle bolts to the dif on the driver side, it is touching the lower control arm bracket. Only thing i can guess is that I put the stock passenger side differential mount on backwards when I took it off. Anyone have any suggestions?

Bear Down

Reaction score
It looks like it’s right. Did you end up figuring it out? From what I saw on the instructions looks like it has to be ground down

Good evening, running into the exact same problem. Grinded down bump stop and notched it, but it seems to be hitting the welds on the shock mount, leaving a gap approximately 5/8” which is bigger than the supplied washer. How did you solve this problem? I’m concerned that grinding the welds may not be wise or am I wrong?

Aparke4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am undertaking a k2500 this week with a RC 6 inch lift for the 8 lug and am using Vice Grip Garage's videos for a guide and he is funny as heck! Pics coming this week. Been slacking because its cold and also waiting on some parts from rock auto to replace while I am under there.

3 part series:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Aparke4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Couple of installed pics for the 88-00 8 lug kit: I need to take apart unfortunately as I didn’t shave enough of the diff (long ways end to end) so I have some contact against frame/ old diff bracket causing some interference, thus pushing diff forward enough to cause some steering interference with cognito brace nut on pitman arm/ driver side and some slight alignment issues with driver side control arm. Also need to modify upper arms as they are an inch too long now that I am fully decranked. Parts painted in safety red rustoleum. Front should be about ~7 inches lift (4 inches at lowest TB setting and 3 inch body). Running metric 35’s and would like to run a 37 eventually. Kit was very nice to put together but took me a long time getting it mostly right. Plan a few days with jackstands.

Aparke4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And done! Just need to install skids but need to do oil pan gasket soon... torsion bars at lowest setting / Z and 3 inch body lift. Plenty of room for 37’s if so desired. Currently on metric 35’s: