Roller lifter cleaning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The lifter manufacturers actually take the time to measure the individual components and match them accordingly?
Automated, I'm sure. Make enough of anything, and you'll have plungers on the high-side of tolerance, which can go into lifter bodies on the high-side of tolerance, leading to tightly-controlled clearances.

They do the same with pistons and cylinder bores, and crank journals and bearing sizes, only not to this degree of precision.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Automated, I'm sure. Make enough of anything, and you'll have plungers on the high-side of tolerance, which can go into lifter bodies on the high-side of tolerance, leading to tightly-controlled clearances.

They do the same with pistons and cylinder bores, and crank journals and bearing sizes, only not to this degree of precision.

And sometimes they do a bad job of it and you get motors with piston slap. Lifters are such an asspain to get apart anyway, last I messed with them I just did them one by one. Toyota is a good example of a manufacturer that measures pistons, bores, crank journals, etc. Everything that's stock size gets marked. There's 3-5 sizes on the ones I worked on, they're down to the absolute gnat's ass with their tolerances and everything is marked so you can get the same stuff when it goes back together.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After cleaning a couple of them up a little i think i'll get new lifters and well new cam so why not new lifters.
The outer shell where a lifter rides in the lifter bore looks a little to wore on most of the lifters to feel comfortable using them.
The lifters that are installed now are DNJ brand and are $95 for a full set on parts geek. The machine shop supplied me with the lifters. I'll get Melling or Sealed power lifters.

What's the best way to install new lifters?

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And sometimes they do a bad job of it and you get motors with piston slap. Lifters are such an asspain to get apart anyway, last I messed with them I just did them one by one. Toyota is a good example of a manufacturer that measures pistons, bores, crank journals, etc. Everything that's stock size gets marked. There's 3-5 sizes on the ones I worked on, they're down to the absolute gnat's ass with their tolerances and everything is marked so you can get the same stuff when it goes back together.
Cadillac did this back in the '60s. My 1969 Cadillac 472 had graded bores and pistons. If I remember right, the big block Cadillacs had 13 different piston sizes in .0002" increments. Nissan was grading bores and pistons in the '80s, and I believe the VG motors had 4 piston sizes.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, very cheap lifters. I'm thinking they are not oiling well and that's the noise I hear in the vid I posted.
I also think they are bleeding off causing the random misfires and crappy running every sense this engine was installed.

Ohya. I also remember ordering engine bearings by color code for a few different car makes.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Yeah, very cheap lifters. I'm thinking they are not oiling well and that's the noise I hear in the vid I posted.
I also think they are bleeding off causing the random misfires and crappy running every sense this engine was installed.

Lifters are something I've thought about replacing if I ever pull the intake. My engine makes a lot of racket if I haven't started it for a few days.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine don't bleed off to the point of tapping but I think they are not staying pumped up when running.
I think when they are closing they fill with oil but opening they are loosing oil and opening the valves very little.
Sounds reasonable to me anyway.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lifters are something I've thought about replacing if I ever pull the intake. My engine makes a lot of racket if I haven't started it for a few days.
What oil filter are you using? Does it have an anti-drainback valve? If not, get a filter that has the anti-drainback valve and see (hear) what happens.

Mine don't bleed off to the point of tapping but I think they are not staying pumped up when running.
I think when they are closing they fill with oil but opening they are loosing oil and opening the valves very little.
They'd have to be outright defective to be that loose.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well at $95 for 16 I can't imagine the tolerance is tight enough to hold oil but need to be just good enough to not bottom out on the up stroke